To lead in the maintenance, deployment and development of innovative electronic field equipment in freshwater, especially lake, ecosystems. This role will make a major contribution to high-resolution, automatic monitoring of the UK natural environment as well as an experimental facility, in order to detect and understand patterns and drivers of environmental change. The post holder will join the Lake Ecosystems Group; an important component of water resources research in UKCEH.
Main duties and responsibilities
- To calibrate and maintain sensors on lake monitoring buoys, for short-term deployments in freshwater environments, at outdoor experimental facilities, and in the laboratory, in order to ensure sustained data collection and high data quality.
- To use, modify and develop data-logger programs that enable automatic data collection and telemetry.
- To design, build and deploy new electronic equipment, to collect high-resolution data from freshwater ecosystems.
- To assist in routine fieldwork, including boat-based long-term ecosystem monitoring in the English Lake District.
- To horizon-scan for emerging sensor technologies, enabling the identification of new environmental monitoring opportunities.
Essential knowledge and skills required
A qualification in electronics (e.g. HNC/HND/Degree)
- Keeps up to date with current thinking in professional area
- Knowledge/experience of maintaining electronic field equipment
- Knowledge/experience of deploying electronic field equipment
- Data logger programming knowledge/experience
- Knows when to seek advice and guidance when solving problems.
- Able to work independently and manages own time effectively.
- Makes active contributions and provides support to other team members.
- Able to manage a changing workload of long and short terms tasks
- Communicates well with peers and more senior staff
- Effective IT skills
Desirable knowledge and skills required
Previous boat handling experience
- Understands the importance of budgetary control and value for money.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Knowledge/experience of developing electronic field equipment
- Full driving license
- Willingness to participate in boat-based fieldwork
- Willingness to participate in laboratory work