Digital technology is transforming our world at pace. Costain’s Leading Edge strategy is putting Digital at the heart of our business. Utilising our broad sector knowledge and deep client insight, we transform business performance and infrastructure intelligence through the development and integration of digital technology solutions.
Be part of the Journey
Our mission is to improve people’s lives, by creating digitally enhanced sustainable infrastructure for future generations, and you will have the opportunity to directly see the impact your efforts will have on creating a greener, smarter, more connected world. This is an opportunity to be at the forefront of real change in critical national infrastructure that will make tomorrow possible.
About the role
To support Costain’s mission to create new and meaningful Data Insight for both our own internal projects and our clients we are looking to recruit a Data Architect reporting into the Head of Data Architecture.
The successful applicant will have the desire to join an organisation that is accelerating change and developing the future of the organisation; working with strategic projects in supporting our Clients’ outcomes and improving UK Customers’ lives.
The purpose of the role is to develop the necessary data architectures for project assignments. This includes data models, message schemas and data transformation rules between them. The successful applicant will be required to understand, influence and support delivery of solutions to meet business requirements.
This is a technical role reflecting a commitment to managing data as a valuable resource and is at the heart of developing and implementing our solutions in accordance with our data architecture principles and standards.
- Define and agree data solutions to meet project requirements
- Collaborate with design and delivery, providing the necessary definition detail to facilitate these into development
- Work within the context of the overarching Enterprise Data Architecture, continuously improving standards and quality
- Provide internal consultation to projects on data related issues
- Develop data models or similar to facilitate delivery of data to all necessary aspects of the business; including third party suppliers
- Develop and maintain the necessary metadata to populate the enterprise wide metadata repository
- Development of data transformation specifications, following best practice
- Ensure appropriate company standards are adhered to in terms of data quality standards and data quality control processes
- Development and management of consistent rerence data to meet the needs ofm, and to be used across, the entire organisation
- Monitor technical progress, ensuring that co-ordination and change control are applied to data transformation specifications and to the data infrastructure
- Coordinate with project management to ensure adherence to data architecture policies and standards
- Ensure all changes are managed effectively and contribute to formal reviews
- Manage the target design, policies and standards, working proactively to maintain a stable, viable data architecture and drive consistency of data across the organisation
- Work with users to understand their data requirements and translate them into logical data models (e.g. Entity Relationship Diagrams)
- Work with development, engineering and operational staff to ensure physical database designs translate into database solutions that are fit for purpose; satisfying both functional and non-functional requirements
- Identify the lineage of data.
- Get hands on with applications, data/integration tools and databases, to extract and analyse data to support decision making and prototyping
- Support and ongoing development of the Enterprise Data Architecture, framework and strategy in response to strategic requirements for a particular business area
- Enterprise Data Architecture Development: Development of significant aspects of the organisation’s Enterprise Data Architecture.
- Ensure compliance to, and support ongoing development of, a consistent enterprise data model
- Ensure compliance to Enterprise Data Architecture Principles, Policies and Standards
- Ensure the documentation and capture of metadata in line with Enterprise Data Architecture standards for regulatory and legal compliance
Primary work arrangements
The Data Architect will report into the Head of Data Architecture. The role will deliver into client facing projects in addition to back-office corporate services; the emphasis of the role is on client facing projects across all our UK clients.
Education and Training
This role requires formal training in data modelling, data design, data architecture or similar
Preferred knowledge and skills
- Significant data experience across delivery and strategy disciplines
- Knowledge of data architecture, design principles, policies, standards, and best practices
- Experience of data modelling including producing logical and physical data models; preferably using Erwin.
- Experience of generic and abstract data modelling with proven success at developing complex data solutions
- Knowledge of database design and data warehousing. Experience with integration middleware, ETL, APIs, and Data Quality toolsets.
- A clear understanding of relational database management systems, flat file data structures and the differences between he two
- Experience with relevant industry security standards and best practice around use of consumer data (i.e. GDPR)
- Highly motivated with good analytical skills and an excellent communicator
- A consultative approach and be business requirement focused
- Collaborative team working
- Desire and ability to deliver to aggressive project time scales whilst ensuring that high levels of quality are maintained
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Analytical thinking and problem solving
- Data experience across delivery and strategy disciplines
- Familiar with industry standard methods, tools and processes to support an Enterprise Architecture function
- Broad and demonstrable experience of working with a diverse set of stakeholders, applying technology capability for business benefit
- Enterprise level data architecture experience
- Knowledge of data architecture, design principles and standards
- Experience of data modelling including producing logical and physical data models
- Experience of designing, implementing, supporting and commercialising data management solutions across Master Data, Meta Data and Reference Data domains
For more information and to apply, please click APPLY below.
Should you require any adjustments to support you in your application, please do not hesitate to contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org