At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
At CERN, helium needs to flow like water from a tap. CERN is the world's largest particle physics laboratory and its flagship accelerator, the Large Hadron Collider, depends on having an unrivalled set of cryogenic systems on hand to guarantee reliable operation. To sustain and extend its discovery potential, the LHC in undertaking a major upgrade, known as High Luminosity LHC (HL-LHC). New large-scale cryogenic infrastructure interfacing with existing machines and cryogenic distribution lines will be required.
The Cryogenics (TE-CRG) Group is in charge of the design, construction, commissioning and operation of the cryogenic systems for CERN accelerators and detectors, of the operation, maintenance and upgrade of cryogenic test facilities as well as of the management of the industrial support contract for maintenance and operation of cryogenic systems. It also provides support for low-temperature developments and tests at the Central Cryogenic Laboratory as well as consultancy and support in cryogenic design and cryogenic instrumentation.
For more information on the HL-LHC project, please consult: http://hilumilhc.web.cern.ch/
As a member of the Project Team for the Cryogenic Distribution System of the HL-LHC project in the Cryogenics group, you will:
- Carry out thermal, mechanical and thermo-hydraulic design and analysis of cryogenic equipment.
- Draw-up technical specifications of cryogenic components and systems.
- Contribute to the management of the project and its quality control.
- Carry out market surveys, material procurement and production follow-up.
- Technical supervision of teams for the design, construction, assembly, installation, testing and commissioning of cryogenic equipment.
- Manage the associated technical documentation for the Quality Assurance Plan.
- Collaborate with people and services inside and outside the Organization.
Master's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of mechanical engineering, industrial engineering, process engineering or a related field.
The experience required for this post is:
- Demonstrated experience in the mechanical design of industrial equipment, preferably in the process or cryogenics field.
- Initial experience in contributing to the management of industrial projects.
- Experience in dealing with complex industrial equipment involving cryogenics or vacuum technologies, would be a major asset.
- Knowledge and application of numerical modelling in solid mechanics
- Thermo-mechanical design and analysis.
- Knowledge of thermodynamics, heat transfer and fluid dynamics.
- Learning and Sharing Knowledge: sharing knowledge and expertise freely and willingly with others; coaching others to ensure knowledge transfer
- Solving Problems: identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them
- Managing Self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting Remaining objective, focussed and productive in a stressful environment; focusing on solutions rather than problems
- Achieving Results: delivering prompt and efficient service taking into account customer needs
- Working in Teams: seeking to help other team members when own work is done; supporting others Working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities
- Spoken and written English: the ability to draw-up technical specifications and scientific reports and to make oral presentations.
- The ability to understand and speak French or the undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 02.08.2021, 12PM CET (midday).
Contract type: Limited duration contract (4 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence is required.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: TE-CRG-ME-2021-69-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Mechanical Engineer