Senior Electrical Technician
Science and Technology Facilities Council
Salary: £31,931 - £34,709 per annum (plus annual role-based allowance of £2,000)
Hours: Full time
Contract Type: Fixed Term (4 years)
Location: Science and Technology Facilities Council, Rutherford Appleton Laboratory Harwell, Oxfordshire
Based at the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory (RAL) the Central Laser Facility (CLF) is one of the world's leading laser centers, providing scientists mainly from the UK and continental Europe with access to an unparalleled range of state-of-the-art laser technology. The CLF has around 180 staff and its function - user facility, international research - makes it a very friendly, outgoing, externally facing sort of place. It has a welcoming and inclusive culture, and you will find that people will naturally help and support you.
The department is looking for 2 highly motivated and experienced Senior Electrical Technicians to join its electrical workshop. The electrical workshop is a small team that carry out a wide array of tasks.
Key Responsibilities Include:
* Manufacture, test, inspect, troubleshoot and repair specialized control cabinets and associated hardware
* Evaluate/modify/make safe university experimental hardware prior to being PA tested and approved for use at the CLF
* Provide operational equipment failure fault diagnosis and undertake equipment maintenance and upgrades during shutdown periods
* To interpret Electrical/Electronic circuit and schematic diagrams
* Advise design staff and project managers of circuit/system errors and omissions
* Suggest and justify improvements to designs
* Apply experience and expertise to ensure operations and minimize delivery time for new projects
* Training and supervision of apprentices.
We are looking for a highly motivated individual with exceptional problem-solving skills.
The below criteria will be assessed at Shortlisting (S), Interview (I) or both (S&I)
* Electrical Apprenticeship or Engineering qualification, either NVQ/ONC or equivalent (S&I)
* Comprehensive Electrical Engineering background (S&I)
* Significant practical experience supporting electrical systems (S&I)
* Fully conversant with engineering drawings and circuit diagrams (S&I)
* Experience with panel building (S&I)
* Qualification in BS7671 IET 18th edition wiring regulations (S&I)
* Excellent awareness of safe working practices (S&I)
* Organised approach to complex problems. (I)
* HNC in Electrical or Electronic Engineering (S)
* Experience working on HV equipment (I)
* Experience with safety interlocks, vacuum control or moti