At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Are you an FPGA firmware programmer who is passionate about conceiving, designing and testing electronics for accelerators at the high energy and high intensity frontier? Take Part!
You will join the Accelerator Systems Department (SY), which is responsible for the beam-related technical systems of the CERN accelerators. The SY teams design, build and operate equipment systems in all CERN accelerators, and are engaged in ambitious forward-looking R&D programmes.
The position opens within the Beam Instrumentation (BI) Group, which is responsible for designing, building and maintaining the instruments that allow observation of the particle beams and the measurement of related parameters for all CERN accelerators. The range of activities undertaken by the Group includes: accelerator physics, detector technology, custom built electronics, mechanical and vacuum engineering for detector housings and software engineering.
As an FPGA firmware programmer, your main task will be to develop, test, install and maintain the digital electronics and the firmware used for the control and acquisition of beam parameters such as the beam losses from the particle beams throughout the entire CERN Accelerator Complex.
The job will involve:
- The design, upgrade and maintenance of digital acquisition electronics based on field programmable logic-based devices (FPGA);
- Manufacturing, test and installation of large scale digital electronic systems for beam loss measurements;
- Installation, test, commissioning and consolidation of these systems.
Bachelor's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of electronics engineering or a related field.
Demonstrated experience in:
- Electronics engineering, in particular FPGA firmware development and verification of digital systems;
- The installation and validation of electronics systems.
Additional experience in the following fields would be an advantage :
- Python or C/C++ programming for the design of the test benches;
- Production of complex printed circuit boards.
- Design and simulation of FPGA-based electronics;
- Design and simulation of digital electronic circuits;
- Testing and measurement of analog electronic circuits;
- Testing and measurement of digital electronic circuits.
- Demonstrating accountability: working conscientiously and reliably; delivering on promises.
- Achieving results: following through on new ideas and innovations; planning and implementing application; driving work / projects along and seeing them through to their conclusion.
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships.
- Demonstrating flexibility: demonstrating openness to new ideas and situations; being willing to work on different projects simultaneously.
- Solving problems: identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them.
- Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak the other language in routine situations. Willingness to acquire knowledge of the other language rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 02.08.2021 by 12 CET.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and official holidays.
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 4-5
Job reference: SY-BI-BL-2021-82-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Electronics Technical Engineer