At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
The Engineering Department (EN) pushes forward the limits of technology to provide innovative research tools to the worldwide physics and engineering community. Within the Planning Administration and Safety (PAS) group of the EN department, you will join the Safety unit, which is responsible for the management of all safety aspects of the Department.
Are you a qualified safety engineer with experience in health, safety and environment protection for complex maintenance activities and installation works? Then you could contribute to the management of the safety and environment in a unique laboratory hosting some of the world’s most complex technical installations. Join CERN. Take part!
As a health, safety and environment engineer, you will:
- Ensure and monitor compliance – also via performance of verifications - of Departmental activities with safety and environment rules (Host states, European and CERN), CERN Safety policy and best practices;
- Report periodically to the department management on health, safety and environment performances
- Lead, coordinate and contribute to joint inspections, risk assessments, technical reviews for the protection of people, the environment and CERN installations;
- Participate to or lead incident investigations;
- Collaborate to the writing and validation of the safety documentation related to Departmental activities (Prevention plans, Safety files, VIC reports- “Visite d’Inspection Commune” etc.)
- Follow up legislation changes and apply the most appropriate to increase the safety level and environmental protection;
- Collaborate with other Safety Officers and Experts at CERN;
- Organise and provide safety training, briefing, seminars and raise awareness of health, safety and environmental protection issues;
- Represent the Department as contact person with external stakeholders (contractors, local authorities) on matters related to safety and environment protection.
Master's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of health, safety or environment engineering or a related field.
Additional National recognized qualification in the field of health, safety and environment is an asset.
- Demonstrated experience in on-site application, implementation, monitoring of safety and environmental rules in Switzerland or France;
- Demonstrated experience in dealing with third parties, contractors and local authorities;
- Experience in performing audit and verifications related to safety and environmental rules;
- Knowledge of Radiation Safety (non-ionizing and ionizing radiation) would be an asset.
- Occupational safety and risk management
- Safety conformity assessment
- Environmental protection
- Knowledge of acoustics hazards and protection
- Knowledge of personal protective equipment
- Incident analysis in particular fault tree analysis;
- Managing Self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting
- Solving Problems: assimilating large quantities of information, identifying key issues and formulating conclusions clearly and concisely. Identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them
- Working in Teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships
- Communicating Effectively: demonstrating a pro-active approach to resolving differences; addressing issues of conflict constructively Expressing opinions, ideas and suggestions with conviction and in a logical/structured manner; keeping to the point Successfully changing other people's opinions by persuasive arguments
- Building Relationships: being able to put self in the shoes of others in order to understand their needs and interests
Ability to understand and speak French in professional contexts and an undertaking to acquire English rapidly
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 01.08.2021.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence is required.
- Shift work, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: EN-PAS-2021-77-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Health, Safety and Environment Engineer