At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
The Engineering Department (EN) pushes forward the limits of technology to provide innovative research tools to the physics and engineering worldwide community. Within the Mechanical & Material Engineering Group (MME), you will join the Mechanical Measurement Lab that undertakes physical and mechanical measurements for a wide range of components and devices for high-energy physics projects.
As a mechanical engineer, you will carry out the design, validation and installation of thermo-mechanical measurement systems. Measurements are carried out in a large variety of environments, including cryogenic temperatures, high radiation environment and high magnetic fields, using state-of-the-art equipment such as universal testing machines, laser Doppler 3D scanning vibrometer, optical strain measurement systems, and acquisition system 2.0. Analysis and interpretation of measurement results will also be used to derive materials constitutive models for Finite Element Analyses (FEA) and to benchmark FEA predictions on real components and in various environmental conditions.
Are you passionate by instrumentation in extreme conditions? Are you skilled in both measurements techniques and mechanics? This is an opportunity for you: you will be part of a multidisciplinary team testing and qualifying the large variety of materials and components used at CERN, in the framework of a wide range of research and development projects. CERN, take part!
- Select, implement and, in specific cases, develop measurement techniques to perform measurements of strains, forces, vibrations, displacements with electrical and/or optical systems on superconducting magnets, detectors of LHC experiments and prototypes for future upgrades, including high field accelerator magnets and accelerating structure;
- Supervise and provide technical support to the thermo-physical and mechanical characterization of material specimens;
- After a period of familiarization, support the continuous improvement of laboratory equipment; watch over developments in the fields of mechanical measurements; write technical specification for new equipment and participate to the tendering and procurement process;
- Act as technical interface with laboratory technicians for instrumentation related aspects, review technical documentation and prepare test reports for activities carried out;
- Participate in multidisciplinary projects in close co-operation with the other Mechanical Engineering teams, numerical analysis and design personnel, be the technical responsible person for specific projects;
- Establish a network and maintain contacts with specialised laboratories/ firms worldwide;
- Prepare technical reports and presentations.
Master's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of mechanical engineering with specialisation in instrumentation or a related field.
- Proven experience in mechanical measurements (design of measuring system, selection/development and associated operation), in particular:
- Proven hands-on experience in experimental stress analysis based on electrical and/or optical strain gauges;
- Proven hands-on experience in vibration failure / dynamic analysis;
- Experience in mechanical and thermal properties characterisation;
- Experience in cryogenics and/or ultra-high vacuum and/or high magnetic field environments;
- Experience in laboratory organisation and quality documentation.
- Knowledge and application of mechanical measurement techniques: including state-of-the art instrumentation and sensors for experimental stress analysis and vibration measurements;
- Knowledge and application of advanced metrologic techniques: applied to calibration of measuring devices;
- Knowledge and application of numerical modelling in solid mechanics: to share experimental data with numerical analysis teams.
- Managing Self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting Taking initiative beyond regular tasks and making things happen Remaining objective, focussed and productive in a stressful environment; focusing on solutions rather than problems
- Building Relationships: showing courtesy and consideration in dealings with others. Understanding how individual differences bring added value to the Organization; promoting complementarities Accepting others in a non-judgemental way and taking their point of view into account
- Demonstrating Flexibility: adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements Being willing to work on different projects simultaneously
- Working in Teams: cooperating constructively with others in the pursuit of team goals; balancing personal goals with team goals.
- Solving Problems: identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them Producing workable and timely solutions that meet requirements
- Spoken and written English, with the ability to draw-up specifications and/or reports, and/or to make oral presentations.
- The ability to understand and speak French or an undertaking to acquire it.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 05.08.2021, 12:00 CET.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- A valid driving licence is required.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Work in radiation controlled areas
- Interventions in underground installations
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: EN-MME-EDM-2021-85-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Mechanical Engineer