At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
You will join the HR Section of the BC Group (Business Computing) in the FAP Department (Finance and Administrative Processes), where 70+ talented international colleagues are responsible for delivering information systems for all of CERN’s business functions.
The HR section is responsible for the maintenance and development of CERN's HR processes supporting the entire organisation (e.g., benefits processes, recruitment processes, learning and development, alumni network).
The product management driven group supports clients across the whole Organisation (HR, Finance, Planning, Safety, Security, Purchasing, Logistics, and Accelerator Operations). The type of products under the Group’s responsibility ranges from custom-made solutions for a few users to large and widely integrated systems with 15,000+ users. Hence, working for the BC Group provides numerous perspectives for being in touch with different technologies and business areas.
As a Full Stack Software Engineer, you will join a self-organised agile product team and you will be responsible for maintaining, evolving, and re-engineering CERN’s administrative information systems, aligned with the group's strategy to modernise, replace, and consolidate legacy architectures and business-critical applications. More specifically, you will take on the following responsibilities:
- Design, develop, and test new features and software components for all layers of modern applications (e.g., frontend, backend, persistence, search, ETL, messaging, reporting etc.).
- Keep legacy applications running on supported infrastructures by applying gradual upgrades.
- Configure third-party provided software systems and integrate them into the group's application infrastructure.
- Participate in and lead cross-team technical initiatives and deliver proof of concepts demonstrating product feasibility.
- Maintain and improve group-wide high standards and guidelines of software engineering practices.
- Identify areas of improvement in the technology landscape of the group and recommend solutions.
- Mentor junior software developers.
- Provide user support including analysing user requirements, synthesizing, specifying and following-up on both software- and non-software related issues.
Master's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of computer science or a related field.
- Proven experience of modern software development life cycle and DevOps processes (incl. build/test/deployment tool chain).
- Demonstrated experience of SQL, PL/SQL, database systems, and their integration with Java applications.
Any of the following experience would be a plus:
- Experience in the maintenance and implementation of features on legacy applications (e.g., Grails, Oracle Application Express, Polymer, JSP).
- At ease with reporting technologies, data warehouse concepts and ETL processes.
- Experience of workflow and document management systems / libraries (e.g., BPMN, Camunda, Alfresco, etc.).
- Knowledge of best practices for developing secure software: knowledge of web application vulnerabilities (as defined by OWASP), and how to prevent them.
- Design of databases/repositories: experience with relational databases and database modelling.
- Re-use, refactoring, integration and porting of existing software: working effectively with legacy code through continuous improvement, refactoring, and technology migration. Provide re-usable components that can be shared between multiple repositories.
- Knowledge and application of software life-cycle tools and procedures: working in lean-agile environments with methodologies such as Scrum or Kanban, issue tracking systems, Git, dependencies and build tools (Gradle, npm).
- Working in teams: Working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities. Cooperating constructively with others in the pursuit of team goals; balancing personal goals with team goals. Sharing and letting others participate in own work/project; encouraging team development.
- Demonstrating accountability: Working conscientiously and reliably; delivering on promises. Taking responsibility for own actions and decisions. Readily admitting to mistakes.
- Learning and sharing knowledge: Taking steps to expand knowledge in other areas of expertise beyond own field. Questioning traditional assumptions and ways of doing things Learning from own successes and failures.
- Managing self: Taking initiative beyond regular tasks and making things happen. Actively seeking feedback on own performance and taking steps to improve it. Demonstrating a receptive approach to feedback; being open to criticism and reconsidering position accordingly.
English spoken and written, with the ability to draw-up specifications and/or reports, and/or to make oral presentations. The ability to understand and speak French or an undertaking to acquire it.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 12:00 CET on 23.07.2021.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an extention or an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: FAP-BC-HR-2021-61-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Computing Engineer