The Systems Engineering function supports internally-funded (IRAD) projects and customer-funded (CRAD) programmes through providing engineering resource skilled and experienced in the delivery of the full system life-cycle. At present the function is engaged with multiple high-profile surface/sub-surface Royal Navy vessels along with supporting the next generation of NGSM radar systems.
We are looking for a Systems Engineer to work primarily on our naval surface ship programmes; This would include working on the Type 45 Destroyer and Queen Elizabeth Aircraft Carrier Programmes
Different thinking for a Different world
Northrop Grumman is a dynamic global security company providing innovative systems, products and solutions worldwide. We have over 2,500 employees across Europe and a rapidly expanding UK operation.
In Northrop Grumman’s rapidly growing UK Defence business, we support our customers’ work to create world-class mission capabilities.
As a part of Northrop Grumman you will use your skills to make a difference in our mission of enabling global security. Our company grows because of our employees' dedication and commitment to achieving this goal.
With a belief in rewarding the dedication shown by our staff, Northrop Grumman gives employees access to a benefits package that provides you with health & well-being benefits, discount schemes, pension benefits and investment in your future development, but most importantly the flexibility to balance your professional career with your personal life.
How you will make a difference
- Conduct/lead all systems engineering activities including requirements management, verification testing and design assurance.
- Produce/review project technical documentation to project schedule.
- Prepare for and successfully deliver key design reviews (PDR/CDR) in accordance with the programme schedule.
- Technical management of suppliers, ensuring requirements and design baselines are maintained.
- Reviewing and challenging technical documentation received from Customer and suppliers.
- Support/Lead reviews with the Customer and key suppliers.
- Ensuring adequate integration with other engineering functions involved in the delivery of the programme (Hardware, Mechanical, Software, ILS, IA, Safety etc.).
- Ensure all responsibilities are delivered in accordance with Company Standards of Conduct and contractual processes.
- Have awareness of and comply with Company Standards of Conduct and all relevant statutory requirements.
- Carry out any other reasonable management request.
- Degree-qualified in a relevant engineering / technical subject (e.g. electrical engineering or similar)
- Experience in a systems engineering role
- Experience of systems requirements management, definition, design, integration, acceptance and analysis
- Knowledge of System Engineering models and techniques.
- Able to work with people effectively at all levels, using well-developed influencing and interpersonal skills
- Can Write and speak clearly and can adapt their language as appropriate to the situation
- Able to use logical and creative thinking to solve problems and make decisions
- Able to deal with internal and external customers in a professional way, both in person, over the phone and by email
- Is a team player, and can create, develop and maintain productive working relationships
- Strong IT skills, specifically with MS Office products.
- Knowledge of requirements management tools (e.g. DOORS or similar)
- Knowledge of marine electronic equipment and/or the marine environment
- Knowledge of marine navigation specific standards (e.g. IEC 60945, 61162, 61174)
- Familiar with military environmental standards (e.g. DEF STAN 00-35, 59-411)
- Knowledge and experience of safety critical systems (SIL 2 / 3)
- Experience of conducting EMC/Vibration/Shock qualification testing with external test houses
- INCOSE Associate/Chartered Systems Engineering Professional
- All candidates must be eligible to hold and maintain UK Government Security Clearance.
- Looking for flexibility? Speak to us at application stage about what may be possible.