An experienced head of Data Science looking to join a successful data science team. This is a people leadership role to develop and maintain the workforce
Different thinking for a Different world
Northrop Grumman is involved in a range of future game-changing defence and security programmes. Whether this is as a partner in the F-35 Lightning II providing the aircraft with much of its situational awareness and communications, as a leading specialist in large intelligence datasets, as a pre-eminent provider of High Altitude Long Endurance unmanned aircraft systems, or as the ‘go to’ provider for truly open system architectures for battlespace networks, communications, and command and control, Northrop Grumman has an unparalleled reputation as an innovator.
How you will make a difference
Resourcing & Workforce Management
- Develop and maintain workforce plans with the Discipline Lead, Programme Managers & Chief Engineers, covering resourcing and training & development. These plans are to plot the team's performance, development and aspirations so that relevant plans can be implemented.
- Proactively recruit to close gaps in workforce plans
- Ensure all programme teams are adequately resourced with suitable qualified and experienced engineers, raising requests for training as required
- Provide proactive investigations for resource single point of failures or demand conflicts
- Work with the Talent Scheme Lead to provide support to our early career talent pipelines through identifying mentors and buddies from within the team
- Direct second tier functional line management responsibilities for a team of Data Science managers - including tasks such as (but not limited to) career development, talent management, performance management, resource and leave management.
- Has responsibility for multiple teams within Data Science. Accountable for the leadership and development of their Line Managers and hold them to account for the development and management of their associated teams.
- Hold regular team meetings to flow down company information and discuss any issues or ideas for improvements.
- Work with the Discipline Leads to deliver a team that meets the discipline vision and strategy through structured training and recruitment
- Provide support to business development activities, which can include bid and proposal writing, nomination of bid support from within the function, customer engagement and internal reviews
- Hold regular 1-1 meetings with all team staff to provide the opportunity to discuss career opportunities, vent any worries or concerns they have, whether professionally or personally.
- Be accountable for engagement activities for all the teams within role scope, working with key stakeholders on wider focus activities within NSS.
- Conduct regular continuous improvement team discussion to improve efficiency.
- Ensure all Staff have talent and goals set at the start of the year and results completed by the end of the Year
- Ensure by liaising with the PMs that the teams workload is suitably balanced provide support to individuals if they are overloaded or a single point of failure for the team
- Work with the PMs to ensure utilisation targets are maintained
Programme Technical Assurance
- Responsible for ensuring that Data Science work is preformed correctly across all programmes
Tools and Process
- Ensure that the tools and process used by the team are the best practice and up to date
Data Science Competency/Skills Required - Essential
- Be an experienced data scientist who is recognised both internally and by the customer as a subject matter expert- with a track record of applying data science and Machine learning to deliver measurable benefit for our customer's missions
- Be a role model to other data Scientists
- Champion innovate and best practice and apply emerging theory to our customers missions, to ensure Northrop Grumman remains at the leading edge of the application of data science and machine learning
- Communication with Seniors (internal and Customer) stakeholders and convince them of the business benefits of data Science and machine Learning aligned with wider organisation objectives
- Exhibit a breadth of understanding across Data science and machine learning and be able to help other data scientist apply this to a range of customer problems and have a deeper expertise in a number of areas of data science and machine learning, such as the latest developments in deep learning reinforcement learning, explainable,secure and ethical AI, MLOps, natural language processing or working with images video and audio data.
- Be able to work with data engineers and customer to map, produce, transform and test data feeds that support the application of data science and machine learning solutions
- In line with the discipline strategy, advocate the importance of continuous learning to the wider discipline and be a role model through demonstration of own self-directed learning, including the definition of development goals and by supporting other data scientists in developing deeper expertise in a narrower range of specialisms
- Identify customer requirements, including gaps or ambiguities in customer requirements, seeking customer clarification where necessary
- Identify opportunities to develop new capabilities or products to generate additional stretch proposals
- Challenge the customer where appropriate, pushing and developing their thinking – even if they find it difficult – and influence them to take on new ways of working
- Confident communicator, both written and verbal.
- Highly organised, self-managing, able to manage multiple activities at any one time.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, able to engage effectively with all audiences/stakeholders at all levels in the organisation
Additional information for your consideration...
You must be able obtain and hold UK Government clearances
Opportunities exist across the UK to enhance your career progression