Role: Senior Safety Specialist (Construction)
Closing date: 5th August 2021
Location: Reading/Basingstoke area
Salary: £41,300 - £55,000pa DOE plus a market leading contributory pension scheme, generous holiday entitlement, excellent work/life balance including a 9-day working fortnight and flexible working hours (role dependent).
It takes a special sort of person to work at AWE. What if that person was you? AWE plays a crucial role in nuclear defence, providing the warheads for the UK's nuclear deterrent. What we do is unique and so are the people who work here.
You will provide specialist subject matter expertise in construction health & safety associated with new builds, re-kits, enabling works, refurbishment, decommissioning and demolition programmes. Advise on strategies for the development of construction health & safety activities in line with relevant legislation, industry standards and AWE's policies, procedures and guidance. Enable compliance with legal obligations and provide adequate support and oversight as the Intelligent Customer, CDM Principal Contractor and Client.
* Manage and/or support technical development and production of Health & Safety documentation for the various construction projects which the individual will support.
* Provide technical Health & Safety input to the Control Account Managers (CAMs), Senior Project Managers (SPMs) and Project Managers (PMs) for all aspects of Construction Health and Safety.
* Delivery of on-site plan, manage and monitor services and provide written evidence of inspections where AWE is Principal Contractor.
* Delivery of on-site Intelligent Customer and CDM Client monitoring services and provide written evidence of inspections.
* Lead on improving Health & Safety performance by introducing leading indicator information for each project that they will support.
* Drive cultural improvement on projects by building effective relationships with our supply chain partners and driving leadership tours and behaviours.
* Assist in the organisational capability assessments of any potential CDM 2015 Principal Contractors.
To be successful in this role you will have:
* Extensive experience in the field of construction health & safety including the CDM Regulations.
* Self-confidence to challenge long established processes and activities.
* Able to build effective relationships with people at all levels of the organisation.
* Takes responsibility for their own decisions and understands the impacts on their area.
* Level 5 Qualification e.g. NVQ Level 5 Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety Practice, NEBOSH Diploma or equivalent
* IOSH grade of CMIOSH or GradIOSH (in order to develop H&S competence through continuous professional development).