Role: Senior Environment Specialist - SME Nuisance and Resource Use
Closing date: 4th August 2021
Location: Reading/Basingstoke area
Salary: AWE offers a competitive salary, market leading contributory pension scheme, generous holiday entitlement, excellent work/life balance including a 9-day working fortnight and flexible working hours (role dependent).
It takes a special sort of person to work at AWE. What if that person was you? AWE plays a crucial role in nuclear defence, providing the warheads for the UK's nuclear deterrent. What we do is unique and so are the people who work here.
You will provide advice and documentation to the business as a subject matter on activities that fall within the scope of one or more environmental technical disciplines and facilitate the management and delivery of the Environment Management System.
- Produce timely and accurate environmental specialist support, as a subject matter expert, for one or more technical disciplines or areas
- Manage the technical development, production and review of documentation in support of the Environmental Management System (EMS), as appropriate, assuring that legislation and other external requirements are incorporated into the company's management arrangements.
- Act as the primary point of contact for environmental advice on one or more environmental technical disciplines.
- Derive and analyse environmental company performance metrics. Advise on the production and development of strategies for continuous improvement and actively encourage their implementation.
- Manage and participate in the evaluation of compliance process, including but not limited to inspections, audits and investigations. Advise on the production and development of improvement plans and assure their successful implementation.
- Develop and proactively manage the interface/relationship with all internal and external regulators/stakeholders.
Nuisance (i.e. dust, noise) tasks could include:
- Provision of annual noise surveys
- Support to projects and planning applications
- Liaison with, and support to Corporate Communications on community complaints
Resource Use tasks could include:
- Act as theme lead for resource us to support AWE's vision to reduce its resource footprint
- Support embedding the principles of the circular economy across the organisation
- Work with supply chain management to implement resource saving opportunities
- Work with AWE efficiencies team to identify efficiencies relating to resource management including but not limited to AWE asset sharing platform
To be successful in this role you will have:
- Degree in an environmental science or management based subject or vocational qualification (HND or equivalent) and/or commensurate practical experience.
- Detailed understanding of current environmental management systems including ISO14001.
- Training will be provided for the Nuisance tasks if required.
- Detailed understanding of current environmental legislation, standards and guidance (including licence conditions and environmental permits) relevant to role. * Understanding of improvement techniques.
- Strong interpersonal/communication, report writing and presentation skills.
- Able to anticipate problems and develop innovative solutions.
- Capable of maintaining a high degree of effectiveness in a multi task role, managing priorities and delivering to challenging timescales.
- Leads by example, visibly demonstrating Company Values: Pride, Innovation, Excellence and Trust.
- Nuisance training will be provided if required.