Senior Safety Case Specialist
Location - Reading / Basingstoke area
Our safety case teams are at the forefront of a wide variety of work, involving ground-breaking innovation and technical challenges across a wide range of projects associated with:
- AWE's multibillion-pound Capital Programme of new facilities
- Planning future systems in support of the UK's long-term strategic deterrent.
- Maintaining and extending the life of existing facilities
- Decommissioning of the redundant facilities.
There are exciting opportunities to develop careers both within, and beyond, AWE.
Package - £53,950 - £65,000 (depending on your suitability and level of experience)
AWE (one of the best 25 big companies to work for in the UK) offer an attractive salary, market leading contributory pension scheme, generous holiday entitlement, excellent work/life balance including a 9-day working fortnight and flexible working hours (role dependent). A salary sacrifice scheme is also available. We will consider candidates looking for full time or part time hours. Just let us know on your application if you wish to work part time.
AWE are looking to expand our team within Safety Case Assessment.
Our Senior Safety Case Specialists advise and implement strategies for the development of safety assessments (safety case/safety basis/risk assessments), and develop and deliver complex safety analyses, assessments and associated documentation to ensure regulatory compliance.
What will you be required to do?
- Manages the technical input to the planning and production of safety assessments and justifications.
- Take ownership and delivers safety assessments and documentation as per Nuclear Safety Management System Procedures and Standards.
- Provides technical information to the production of company policy, guidance and strategy to agreed delivery standards.
- Produces risk assessments and safety justifications for a range of facilities, including radioactive, explosives and chemical plant.
- Ensure the correct risk assessment methods and techniques are used.
- Provides technical advice for the design and/or delivery of technical training.
- Coaches graduates, early career and Safety Assessment Specialist Assessors in the use of relevant safety assessment techniques.
- Additional accountabilities for this job profile may be defined and appointed through the Chief Engineer Management Arrangements, with appointees listed within the Company Design Authorities and Technical Authorities, as held in the company management system.
Whilst not to be considered a check list, candidates should be able to demonstrate some of the following:
- Degree in a science or engineering based subject or vocational qualification (HND or equivalent) and/or extensive practical experience
- Knowledge and experience of working on a range of safety cases across different industries ideally radiological, chemical and/or explosive hazards
- Chair HAZOP meetings
- Produces the assessments of safety justifications, documentations as per the latest MSPs.
- Promote relevant good practice with the Safety Assessment Specialism i.e. SHAZOP, MSCR, OSCAR etc.
- Knowledge of the techniques used for Safety Case Assessment
- Excellent interpersonal/communication skills, report and presentation skills
- Experience in a nuclear, high hazard and/or highly regulated industry
- Professional membership to a relevant chartered body (desirable)
This is a highly rewarding position that will give you the opportunity to apply your skills and experience in support of AWE's important mission to keep the Nation safe.
All candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role and be willing and able to work in designated areas.