MBDA Missile Systems - Deliver For A More Secure Tomorrow
We have a great opportunity for Head of Missile Electrical Architecture to take a leading role within our team.
This role will suit someone who wishes to develop their people management abilities, as it covers all aspects of recruitment, workload, training, development, engineering support and knowledge management for a team of approximately 25 staff.
In addition, there is also a strong technical element to the role, with specific responsibility for leading certain IRAD projects, Functional initiatives and ensuring that staff within your team maintain the standards of Electrical Architecture and follow the relevant processes & procedures.
As leader for the UK management of the Missile Electrical Architecture resources, this role ensures resources are allocated to Programme Sectors to ensure delivery of technical commitments; it also supports project-embedded staff through provision of technical excellence, initiating and supporting technical reviews
Typical activities include:
- Active participation across UK and France function for the sharing of experience & best-practice in the electrical domain.
- Developing strong links with MA and UK electrical functions to maintain the electrical baseline skillset at MBDA.
- Acting as the owner and technical lead for Health & Usage Monitoring Systems (HUMS).
- Responsible for the recruitment, allocation and development of team resources including performance management (PAD2, reward and recognition, motivation and people leadership activities).
- Support to the Portfolio Management Team (PMT) in the UK and to the Generic Missile Architecture (GMA) for the identification and delivery of Modularity & Re-use within the electrical domain.
- Development of novel electrical missile architectures that realise the benefits from break-through innovation within other technical domains
- Support the management of the function graduate program including assessment day selection, placement coordination, performance review and final assignment within the function.
- Support the management of the MA future workload using the existing Work Load Forecast (WLF) processes and identify, validate & report any capacity problems.
- Develop and deploy innovation and improvement projects to the department processes, methods & tools in pursuit of technical excellence, more efficient and common architectures and effective development practices.
- Support the management of the operating budget of the department in accordance with the function objectives.
- Propose and co-ordinate the use of pan-project budgets to develop common technologies for the benefit of all projects.
- As well as managing the Electrical Architects, as defined above , 50 – 60% of your time shall be spent supporting project activates.
What we’re looking for:
- Ideally educated to degree level with a solid experience or equivalent professional experience with a strong background within the Electrical domain and good understanding of the broader engineering subject areas including systems design and safety systems.
- Strong leadership skills and a strong training/coaching ethos
- Ability to manage technically complex internal and sub-contract activities
- Ability to influence senior managers and other partners
- Strong interpersonal skills and highly developed communication skills
- Ability to work in an international environment, understanding the cultural and political issues
- Be able to travel within and outside the UK.
What’s in it for you?
This is a very diverse role, with both team leadership and technical aspects, so it’s a great ‘stepping stone’ for someone wanting to progress towards Chief Design Engineer, Chief Engineer or Department Head.
This opportunity has a strong International aspect, as there is regular interaction with the MA team in France and specifically with the Head of Missile Electrical Architecture in Le Plessis.
Join a great team!
The Electrical Architecture team is a diverse mix of graduates to experienced Executive grade engineers and Technical Experts based across the Stevenage and Filton sites. The Architect team is made-up of engineers that have joined the department from other MBDA Functions or are external hire, some with minimal Aerospace / Defence experience.
The departmental resources are deployed to the project teams, managed in most cases by the Chief Design Engineers.
The projects lifecycle stage can be from New Business to In Service Support; hence, the complete lifecycle is covered.
You will be working in a fast paced and innovative environment, with regular interaction with most Directorates, Functions and Programmes.
There is ample opportunity to influence the strategic direction of the Missile Architecture Function, via daily discussions / interactions with the MA UK leaders.
MBDA is an award winning company; committed to providing an inclusive working environment where our employees can be themselves and everyone has equal opportunity to reach their full potential. We value difference and know that a diverse community makes for greater innovation and brings a breadth of skills, experience and perspectives.
We’re here to help and want to ensure you have a positive experience throughout our recruitment process. We recognise that everyone is unique and we encourage you to speak to us should you require any advice, support or adjustments.
MBDA is a proud member of Working Families – the UK’s work-life balance organisation. We welcome applicants who are looking for flexible working arrangements.
We understand that flexibility benefits our people, our teams and our business; wherever possible we will seek to accommodate a blended approach to on-site and remote working.
Follow MBDA on LinkedIn (MBDA), Twitter (@MBDAcareers) and Instagram (lifeatMBDA_UK).
Please Note: MBDA UK requires all employees to achieve the appropriate clearance relevant to the role.