A key member of the Hardware Engineering team, this role will work to provide electrical design engineering expertise for maritime control and instrumentation systems throughout the full project lifecycle, from requirements and concept design through to validation and qualification. This will involve the selection, design, development and analysis of electrical systems and components to deliver a Platform Management System (PMS) on a variety of Defence programmes.
Different thinking for a Different world
Northrop Grumman is a dynamic global security company providing innovative systems, products and solutions worldwide. We have over 2,500 employees across Europe and a rapidly expanding UK operation.
In Northrop Grumman’s rapidly growing UK Defence business, we support our customers’ work to create world-class mission capabilities.
As a part of Northrop Grumman you will use your skills to make a difference in our mission of enabling global security. Our company grows because of our employees' dedication and commitment to achieving this goal.
With a belief in rewarding the dedication shown by our staff, Northrop Grumman gives employees access to a benefits package that provides you with health& well-being benefits, discount schemes, pension benefits and investment in your future development, but most importantly the flexibility to balance your professional career with your personal life.
How you will make a difference
- Electrical design engineering Subject Matter Expert (SME) for Platform Management Systems (PMS)
- Understand and interpret PI&D control systems, where required
- Design and develop electrical panel/enclosure/cabinet design in accordance with customer requirements
- Create, modify, maintain and manage electrical designs for power and control systems
- Analyse and justify electrical based designs and component selection
- Produce and review electrical schematics in accordance with relevant standards and internal Computer Aided Design (CAD) processes
- Produce, modify, maintain and manage technical documents to support contractual deliverables (e.g. specifications, design documents, Bill of Materials (BOMs) etc.)
- Resolve electrical issues during hardware design, development, manufacture, integration and qualification
- Drive and oversee the electrical safety testing of designed and manufactured equipment
- Support test equipment design, where required
- Support the running of functional and test equipment during testing phases
- Manage and adhere to configuration management processes for baseline control throughout the full project lifecycle
- Manage and adhere to change control processes, providing input to impact assessments
- Collaboratively support other engineering and supporting functions from an electrical engineering perspective
- Provide electrical engineering expertise to define, decompose and manage requirements
- Produce, maintain and manage calculations to support electrical design engineering tasks (e.g. wild heat, cooling, power, battery charge/discharge etc.)
- Raising Technical Queries (TQ) for ratification and managing electrical design engineering risks
- Act as a customer and supplier facing electrical design engineering SME
- Apply working knowledge of Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC) from an electrical design engineering perspective
- Verify and validate customer electrical requirements through the production/modification of electrical test documents
- To be aware of and comply with company standards of conduct and all relevant statutory requirements
Essential qualifications / experience
Strong experience in an Electrical Design Engineering position
Engineering Degree in related discipline (experienced Electrical Design Engineers without a degree will also be considered
Understanding and working knowledge of electrical related Defence Standards, including Lloyds Register and other Military Standards (e.g. Def Stan 59-411)
Ability to work independently on own initiative, as well as within a collaborative team environment
Ability to work under pressure in a complex and rapidly changing environment
Hold SC clearance or ability to achieve it
Preferred qualifications / experience
Experience of working within a team developing Naval Platform Management Systems (PMS) for surface and sub-surface programmes
Understanding and working knowledge of Defence programmes
Travel requirements: Occasional UK travel may be required to attend team/customer meetings and training activitie
Clearance requirements: Post-holder must hold and maintain UK Government clearances where require
Looking for flexibility? Speak to us at application stage about what may be possible