Power Supplies Engineer / Senior Engineer
Salary £33,963 - £59,245
Full time or part time considered / Flexible hours
Ref no 10599
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron, and one of the most advanced scientific facilities in the world. By accelerating electrons to near light-speed, Diamond generates brilliant beams of light from infra-red to X-rays which are used for academic and industry research and development across a range of scientific disciplines including structural biology, physics, chemistry, materials science, engineering, earth and environmental sciences.
About the Role
The Power Supplies group is responsible for over 1300 high precision and high stability power supplies used to power the electromagnets on Diamond’s accelerators. These electromagnets bend and focus the electron beam as it travels around the accelerators. The power supplies are some of the most precise and stable power supplies in the world, ranging between 5A at 20v up to 1000A at 2000V. These are typically using MOSFET and IGBT switching technology. Whilst a majority of the power supplies are DC with long term current stability of 50ppm, there are also 5Hz AC cycling power supplies rated up to 2MVA, and also pulsed power supplies with instantaneous power ratings up to 7.5MW.
Diamond is planning a multi-million pound upgrade of the facility, known as Diamond-II, which will generate an even more brilliant light source at a higher energy. As part of this upgrade many new power supplies will be required to further enhance the performance of the accelerator, and we now have an opportunity for an experienced Power Supplies Engineer or Senior Power Supplies Engineer to assist with the design, procurement and testing of these new power supplies, as well as the day-to-day challenges of operating high performance magnet power supplies.
Further responsibilities will include:
- Providing technical knowledge and practical experience of switched mode power supplies.
- Producing concept designs, layouts, assembly drawings and detailed manufacturing drawings employing AutoCAD and Cadence Design Suite software.
- Applying knowledge of circuit simulation techniques.
- Maintaining and updating engineering drawings and documentation on projects.
- Assisting in / creation of detailed power supply technical specifications.
- Testing and characterising prototype power supplies.
- Fault finding and repairs of existing power supplies and associated sub-assemblies, and examining faults and recommending upgrades.
- Monitoring operational performance, identifying areas for improvement, proposing and implementing new procedures, systems and equipment or changes to existing.
The Senior Engineer will take a pro-active lead in the delivery of a range projects, as well as negotiating, agreeing and writing technical specifications, and producing and monitoring project management plans including Gantt charts, resource and procurement plans.
Successful applicants will be appointed as either an Engineer or Senior Engineer, depending on the strength of your knowledge, skills, experience and qualifications.
You will be qualified to degree level in a relevant discipline, or masters level for the senior role, or you will demonstrate significant equivalent experience. Membership of a relevant professional body or the Engineering council is desirable.
You will demonstrate experience in the specification, procurement, installation and commissioning of power electronic systems, along with a proven background and sound theoretical understanding of switched mode power supplies or motor inverters.
You will also have experience in the use of laboratory-based testing with an understanding of measurement techniques.
Further knowledge / skills in the following areas is desirable:
- AutoCAD and/or Cadence Design Suite.
- Engineering drawings.
- Digital control loop systems.
- Managing significant projects, co-ordinating internal/external resources and managing associated budgets.
- Working within a QA system.
- Systems integration
To be considered as a Senior Engineer you should demonstrate experience of:
- Design of high reliability/high availability power supplies.
- High precision/low noise power supplies.
Diamond offers an exceptional benefits package to support staff in achieving a positive work/life balance. This includes 25 days annual leave plus 13 days of statutory and company holidays, along with flexible working hours and an excellent pension scheme. Staff also have access to a range of amenities on site including a nursery, cafes, a restaurant and sports and leisure facilities. A relocation allowance may also be available where applicable.
Please use the online application process to apply and tell us why you believe you are suitable for this role.
Diamond is a thriving international organisation, attracting a diverse range of talented individuals from around the world. Our staff currently comprises 44 nationalities and we welcome applications from everyone interested in joining us.
The closing date for applications is 19th September.