AWE is currently recruiting for a Mechanical Engineer to provide expertise to the Warhead Engineering Sub-Function in support of AWE Programmes. You will apply engineering methods, tools and processes to complex warhead engineering tasks; provide guidance and mentoring to inexperienced engineers about the practical use of engineering methods, tools and processes.
Location - Reading/Basingstoke area
AWE offer a competitive salary, market leading contributory pension scheme, generous holiday entitlement, excellent work/life balance including a 9-day working fortnight and flexible working hours (role dependent). A salary sacrifice scheme is also available.
We will consider candidates looking for full time or part time hours.
- Expedite the planning and execution of tasks in order to deliver specific agreed objectives on time; demonstrating control of cost and quality.
- Lead and influence collaborative working and contribute towards the achievement of project goals.
- Expedite progress of designs through product life cycle.
- Understanding the hazards and associated risks of any work conducted and, where required, safely use specialised equipment.
- Lead the delivery of conceptual designs, detail designs, manufacturing specifications, operational documentation and validation evidence for mechanical engineering solutions in relation to defined requirements.
- Production and delivery of high-quality technical reports and presentations.
- Identify and support opportunities for cost savings, efficiency and business improvement.
- Lead in managing partnerships.
- Produce high quality scoping documents, plans and estimates for future activities.
- Aid the development of less experienced engineers through formal and informal, technical mentoring.
- Organise personal training and development under the guidance of a professional mentor.
- Where appropriate, discharge the role of professional mentor.
- Provide technical guidance and mentoring to junior engineers.
Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role.
AWE plays a crucial role in the defence of the United Kingdom, by providing and maintaining the warheads for the country's nuclear deterrent. We are a centre of scientific, engineering and technological excellence, with some of the most advanced research, design and production facilities in the world. Our unique expertise also assists the UK Government in developing and delivering a range of innovative and integrated support services, including national nuclear security and counter-terrorism solutions.
AWE is an equal opportunities employer. We value diversity and welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds. We particularly welcome applications from sections of the community which are currently under-represented at AWE, including women, BAME and disabled people.