WHAT TO EXPECT
The Surface Materials Perceived Quality team sits within the Body Engineering department, as part of Materials Engineering. It is responsible for defining the customer requirements for sensory interaction with JLR products and delivering the Perceived Quality attribute. Working as part of Body Engineering, and cross functionally, the Surface Materials team is responsible for; component appearance approval, interior and exterior colour harmony, new material approval from direct sourced suppliers and cosmetic quality standards on new model programmes.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
* Programme Lead for Surface Materials team - managing all team deliverables on new vehicle programmes or model year updates.
* Create and publish vehicle specific Cosmetic Quality Standard Manuals (CQSMs) for Body Engineering areas such as Seating, Steering Wheels, Door Trim, Instrument Panel and Console as part of new vehicle launch.
* Lead cross functional team including; Lead Component Engineers, Suppliers, Design, Company Quality and Purchasing to deliver maturation of components and assemblies to meet JLR standards and customer expectations.
* Appearance Approval Reports (AARs) involving component level inspection and sign off, management of the AAR database, liaison with suppliers for part submissions and escalation to cross functional teams for deviations against standards.
* Compile and maintain A-surface component lists for future vehicle programmes for AAR tracking, comprising part details, materials, colours and submission dates. Liaison with Design, Component Lead Engineers and Programme Team for part information.
* Develop and manage delivery of new Direct Source Supplied (DSS) materials through colour and mechanical performance testing against JLR specification. Managing delivery with cross functional team including the Suppliers, Purchasing, Design, Company Quality, Material Engineering and Plant.
* Arrange and conduct vehicle level Colour Harmony assessment events for exterior paint and interior trim. Issue harmony reports and drive the improvements required to meet customer expectations through managing supplier maturation actions.
* Weekly programme status reporting and collating of metrics from Surface Material team activities. Reporting out and representing team at programme meetings and product launch reviews. Escalation and management of issues.
* Conducting virtual risk assessments on components and assemblies, inspecting and predicting cosmetic quality issues through CAD assessments.
What You'll Need
* Experience of programme or project management, meeting demanding timescales, with cost effective delivery.
* Ideal candidate should be enthusiastic, forward looking with proven creative experience. They must be self-motivated and able to deliver with minimum supervision.
* Be able to drive the resolution of technical issues (and associated business cases) with the ability to interface directly and lead activities with cross functional teams.
* Excellent communication, interpersonal skills and self-confidence are personal qualities needed to succeed in this role.
* The candidate must demonstrate scrupulous attention to detail and a passion for quality.
* Experience with or knowledge of injection moulding, chroming and painting processes is preferable.
* The candidate should have experience creating or viewing parts in CAD. Experience with Dassault Systemes CAD packages is an advantage. They should be computer literate and must be capable using Microsoft Office applications.
* The role will require regular inter-site travel, therefore it is expected that candidates will hold a valid drivers licence.
* The candidate should be available and willing to undertake international travel to support the Surface Materials deliverables with global product launches.
* Knowledge of the Appearance Approval Process and experience working in the Automotive Industry is preferable.
* The applicant must be able to pass a colour and vision test.