AWE is now recruiting for a Shift-based Mechanical Craft Practitioner to carry out a wide range of planned and reactive activities on plant and equipment which can include installations, repairs, replacement, calibration, testing, modifications, etc. You will be working an early and late shift pattern which is based over a nine-day fortnight.
Location: Reading area
Package: £25,000 - £33,000 subject to skills and experience, plus shift allowances. Working on shift attracts 20% salary enhancement.
Working Hours (shift): Week 1 (5 working days), Week 2 (4 working days). Early Shift 0600hrs - 1445hrs, Late Shift 1415hrs - 2300hrs. This is on a two-week rotation (2 weeks on early shift and 2 weeks on late shift)
AWE offer a competitive salary, market leading contributory pension scheme, generous holiday entitlement, excellent work/life balance including a 9-day working fortnight and flexible working hours (role dependant). A salary sacrifice scheme is also available.
You will be required to:
- Apply craft skills and working in accordance with task instructions in a safe and effective manner to optimise building processes, plant and equipment availability
- Safeguard the Company's Environment, Health, Safety, Security and Quality Standards, and maintain current knowledge of all applicable procedures, legislation and safety measures, taking an active role in the implementation safe systems of work and work instructions
- Work individually or in a team to apply learnt technical skills to a wide range of applications and providing technical advice and guidance to Customers and Stakeholders in field of expertise
- Work in a professional and flexible manner across a variety of locations as delegated to meet the programme and company needs
To be successful in this role you will have the following:
- An Engineering Apprenticeship with a minimum NVQ/Diploma Level 3 in relevant discipline or NVQ/Diploma Level 2 plus industrial experience
- Working knowledge/experience of operational craft activities including fault finding techniques and methodologies
- Working knowledge/experience of building services, plant, equipment and processes
- Understanding of the HASAWA
- Understanding and experience of SSoW
- The ability to work independently and as a team, including leading tasks and coaching others
Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role.
AWE plays a crucial role in the defence of the United Kingdom, by providing and maintaining the warheads for the country's nuclear deterrent. We are a centre of scientific, engineering and technological excellence, with some of the most advanced research, design and production facilities in the world. Our unique expertise also assists the UK Government in developing and delivering a range of innovative and integrated support services, including national nuclear security and counter-terrorism solutions.
AWE is an equal opportunities employer. We value diversity and welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds. We particularly welcome applications from sections of the community which are currently under-represented at AWE, including women, BAME and disabled people.