About this role
This covers all of BT’s technical facilities (c. 6000 exchanges, c.30 data-centres) across the UK, with c. 50K mechanical and electrical assets under management.
These facilities and associated infrastructure drives all BT network-based services, as well as internal and external IT solutions, and underpins BT’s strategy in terms of accelerated fibre rollout, ESN/5G deployment and much more.
You will excel as a senior technical specialist, involved in major projects or compliance programmes covering power systems (ac and dc) across the BT estate. You will play a key role in the expansion of BT’s 21C Core network over the next 3-5 years. You will be the key decision maker on all decisions relating to electrical infrastructure.
You'll have the following responsibilities
You will lead a team of electrical or mechanical specialists. Working with team to develop and coach their engineering and leadership capability – this is as much a technical people management role as it is direct technical project work.
Provide specialist M&E knowledge in the preparation, management and maintenance of M&E systems related policies, engineering standards and guides.
Perform the role of technical design lead on specific projects
Prepare Statements of Requirements (SoR) for project specific systems
Provide technical governance and evaluation of project specific tender returns
Perform supplier technical audits of their standards, facilities, training and product quality for compliance with BT policies, standards and guides.
Perform the role of technical coordinator and interface between stakeholders (BT), suppliers and interested parties
Deliver activities and programmes relating to compliance and assurance of BT’s mechanical and/or electrical infrastructure
Implement and own electrical systems e2e including specification, tender, training and in-life excellence
You'll have the following skills & experience
• Specialist in power and/or mechanical systems
• You will be a qualified to BS7671 18th Edition
• You will have a solid academic M&E engineering background (BEng, HND, HNC), or the equivalent demonstrable work experience
• You will have demonstrable practical experience of: on-site power generation, UPS Systems, AC Switch-gear, HV Power, Fuel tanks, modular cooling, centralised cooling, airflow, BMS, iron work
• You will have in depth working knowledge of The Electricity at Work Act, The Health and Safety at Work At & Construction Design Management Regulations
• A detailed working knowledge of BT’s M&E estate.
• Accredited Commercial Client / Principle Designer under Construction Design and Management Regulations 2015
• A proven delivery track record of M&E infrastructure project delivery
• An understanding of network monitoring systems and implementation practices.
• An understanding of commercial litigation and warranty claims
• An awareness of IP networking and the building of supporting architectures.
• Full UK Driving licence and willingness to travel extensively in the UK and occasionally globally
• 25 days annual leave (plus bank holidays)
• 10% on target bonus
• Pension scheme
• Shares Plan
• Flexible benefits: cycle to work, childcare vouchers, healthcare, etc.
• Discounted BT products