Are you a multilingual, experienced engineer/scientist keen to support inventors?
Are you eager to play a role in future developments in innovation?
At the EPO, you can do all of that – and more!
Supporting innovation, competitiveness and economic growth: that's our mission at the EPO
As the patent office for Europe, we are proud to deliver high-quality, efficient services that promote a safer, smarter and more sustainable world.
We foster diversity and inclusion
Almost 7 000 employees from 35 countries are living proof that a successful organisation is one that leverages the diversity of its workforce.
Who are we looking for?
We are currently seeking engineers and scientists to work at the cutting edge of technology, analysing the latest inventions in Chemical Engineering, Life Science, Materials Science, Medical Technology, AI Related, Computer, Electro, Physics and Telecom.
Your daily job as a patent examiner
Your work will entail carrying out end-to-end patent examinations from the search to the post-grant stage. At the same time, you will create and maintain classification systems to ensure efficient and effective searching, whilst ensuring the uniform and effective application of the European Patent Convention and other legal texts.
What we expect from you: scientific expertise, analytical thinking, language skills
You know how to analyse technical and subject-specific information and how to retrieve technical information from databases and other sources. As a result, you can make decisions following the assessment of complex technical information, the application of legal requirements and the examination of parties' arguments. You are able to write clear and well-reasoned communications and feel comfortable interacting with colleagues and applicants to process patent applications efficiently.
What are our minimum requirements?
- Master's degree (or equivalent) covering one or more technical fields mentioned above.
- Excellent knowledge (at least C1) of one official language (English, French and German) and working knowledge (at least B2) of the other two. In exceptional cases, excellent knowledge (at least C1) of one official language and working knowledge (at least B2) of another. In such cases, the willingness to learn the third language and to reach level B2 would be required.
- Work experience in industry would be an advantage.
- Citizenship of one of the member states of the European Patent Organisation.
An above-market social package? That's what we offer at the EPO
- A competitive salary
- Family-friendly benefits
- Professional development opportunities
- Relocation benefits and various allowances (e.g. household, dependants', childcare, education, expatriation, installation, rent allowance)
- Contributory medical insurance and pension schemes
- Thirty days of leave per year
- Social activities and clubs Full list of benefits
Interested in a career working with the latest inventions? Simply click Apply.
More information on how we recruit can be found on our EPO jobs and careers site
Job group: 4
Grade: G7 to G10 (net (basic) monthly salary* for this vacancy: EUR 5 800 to 8 300, depending on experience)
Duration of contract: Five years
Career path: Technical
Location: Munich/The Hague
Application deadline: 31.10.2021
Technical Interviews estimated for: October - December 2021
Final interviews planned for: December 2021 - February 2022
* after deduction of EPO-internal tax and before deduction of staff contributions to the social security and pension schemes. The salary level depends on experience