MBDA Missile Systems - Deliver for a more secure tomorrow
Salary: £69K+ and bonus + benefits
Following ten successful years of delivering Complex Weapons through a Portfolio Agreement, the MOD and MBDA are undertaking a review of the approach, looking at improvements and also incorporating the direction set by the government’s recent policies contained in the Integrated Review, Defence and Security Industrial Strategy (DSIS) and Command Paper. There is clear intent to drive greater Prosperity and Agility into a Future Portfolio Arrangement and by way of response MBDA has set out an agile end to end framework for the acquisition of complex weapons with greater response to the threat.
There is an opportunity for the right individual to lead the development of the Management Systems necessary to deliver Complex Weapons through a revised the Operating Model with the MOD customer.
This is a unique moment in time to join the team refreshing this successful partnership, and to be part of designing and implementing a Portfolio for the benefit of our Military Customers and the UK as a whole.
What we’re looking for
- Programme / Portfolio Manager able to manage a portfolio of complex projects with an understanding of strategic risk and commercial challenges
- Negotiating and influencing skills, with the ability to establish and maintain strong internal and external relationships and work collaboratively across various levels in an organisation.
- Effective stakeholder managers with experience working in a highly intelligent customer environment
- Sound business judgement, skills and knowledge including technical appreciation of complex problems
- Ability to embrace new challenges and deal with a level of ambiguity
What’s in it for you?
- A once in a decade opportunity to be involved in creating a Strategic Defence Agreement to deliver Military capability to our armed forces
- High level of integration between functional directorates, our European counterparts and our UK/Export customers.
- Opportunities to grow and develop a career in MBDA within Programme Management and other related functions
- A great platform to embed your partner management skills, across a diverse multi-functional, multi-lateral organisation
- Exposure to working within a vibrant Project Management community
- Opportunity to gain professional/accredited project management qualification
- Open forum to share best practice and innovative methodologies
The Mission and Key responsibilities of the role are as follows
- To lead the programme and performance management aspects of the MBDA Portfolio Management Team, providing leadership on processes, tools and analysis to support Portfolio decision making and leading the interactions with the customer on these areas.
- To drive continuous improvement and transformation through both Current and Future Portfolio.
- To take a leading role in the development of the Future Portfolio, representing MBDA to the customer for delivery of the programme and performance aspects of the Future Target Operating Model.
- To lead the programme management of the enabling activities supporting the transition from current to future state plus providing subject matter expertise into specific workstreams including governance, organisation and management information.
- To lead the Portfolio Learning and development training activities, delivering Effective Joint Working and Customer Relationship Management.
- Develop a team and skillsets required to deliver Portfolio Management benchmarked against external best practice.
Main responsibilitiesEstablish and maintain Portfolio Management Team interfaces within the Portfolio and with the individual project delivery teams.
Produce the overall Portfolio delivery metrics on a monthly basis in support of both MBDA and MOD meetings and reporting. Deliver transformation to implement a modernised management information toolset e.g. Power BI, to support joint decision making.
Manage the Portfolio Earned Value reporting processes and control the flow of information in joint space. Lead the continuous improvement of MBDA delivery on EV processes and ensure Future Portfolio reporting needs.
Lead the programme management activities for Portfolio level Estimate at Completions.
Lead in the facilitation, preparation and communication of Portfolio Governance meetings.
Risk and Opps: Joint Chair of risk and opportunity working group – ensure Joint R&O management plan is up to date and followed.
Support the generation and implementation of programme business improvement strategies.
Lead the customer interaction on the programme management elements of the Future Portfolio including the Target Operating Model, Digital transformation, Governance transformation, ensuring internal alignment with proposals.
Support the Portfolio Learning and development activities, which develop the awareness and understanding of the operation of Portfolio management.
Develop Portfolio Management capability within MBDA drawing on external best practice to deliver the required people, skillsets and tools
MBDA is an award winning company; committed to providing an inclusive working environment where our employees can be themselves and everyone has equal opportunity to reach their full potential. We value difference and know that a diverse community makes for greater innovation and brings a breadth of skills, experience and perspectives.
We’re here to help and want to ensure you have a positive experience throughout our recruitment process. We recognise that everyone is unique and we encourage you to speak to us should you require any advice, support or adjustments.
MBDA is a proud member of Working Families – the UK’s work-life balance organisation. We welcome applicants who are looking for flexible working arrangements.
We understand that flexibility benefits our people, our teams and our business; wherever possible we will seek to accommodate a blended approach to on-site and remote working.
Follow MBDA on LinkedIn (MBDA), Twitter (@MBDAcareers) and Instagram (lifeatMBDA_UK).
Please Note: MBDA UK requires all employees to achieve the appropriate clearance relevant to the role.