AWE is currently recruiting for Mechanical Craft Specialist (HGV Fitter/Driver) to carry out an extensive range of planned and reactive activities on plant, equipment and systems which can include installs, repairs, replacement, calibration, modifications, etc.
Location - Reading area
Package - £30,750 - c£41,000 (depending on your suitability and level of experience) + allowances
AWE (one of the best 25 big companies to work for in the UK) offers an attractive array of benefits which include:
- Market leading contributory pension scheme
- Generous holiday entitlement (270 hours a year plus every other Friday off)
- Flexible working hours
- Salary sacrifice scheme
- Consideration for either full time or part time hours. Just let us know on your application if you wish to work part time
- Relocation package available (terms and conditions apply)
What will you be responsible for?
- Following technical processes and procedures in order to diagnose faults on vehicles, using specialist equipment
- Carry out maintenance tasks and inspections in high hazard areas as required including tyre fitting, roller brake testing, vehicle electrics, diagnostics etc.
- Prepare all vehicles to the highest standard for MOT's to ensure maximum first-time pass rate.
- Carry out mandatory safety inspections in accordance with DVSA and Traffic Commissioner requirements.
- Inspect and endorse the quality of own work to ensure it meets the required specification
- Driving HGV vehicles on and to off-site locations
- Following instruction: Maintenance, safe systems of work, making sure all updated and documented Time management, planning and problem solving on all vehicles
- Supervision and coaching of Practitioner tradesmen on the shop floor to enable their progression to Specialist
- Make technical decisions for the section requiring extensive knowledge in specialist across several disciplines or work areas
- Conduct breakdown and recovery duties (including out of hours on a rota basis) as required (full fast road training will be given)
What will you need to be considered?
- Engineering Apprenticeship with a minimum NVQ/Diploma Level 3 in relevant discipline or NVQ/C&G/Diploma Level 3 plus minimum 5 years industrial experience
- Category C (minimum) licence holder
- Detailed knowledge and working experience of craft activities including fault-finding techniques and methodologies
- Understanding of the HASAWA
- Able to work as a lead team member including coaching practitioners in specialised roles
- Basic computer literacy to utilise relevant business systems (e.g. Asset Management System)
- Good interpersonal skills, written and verbal
Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role.
AWE plays a crucial role in the defence of the United Kingdom, by providing and maintaining the warheads for the country's nuclear deterrent. We are a centre of scientific, engineering and technological excellence, with some of the most advanced research, design and production facilities in the world. Our unique expertise also assists the UK Government in developing and delivering a range of innovative and integrated support services, including national nuclear security and counter-terrorism solutions.
AWE is an equal opportunities employer. We value diversity and welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds. We particularly welcome applications from sections of the community which are currently under-represented at AWE, including women, BAME and disabled people.