MBDA Missile Systems - Deliver for a more secure tomorrow
Part time working considered
An opportunity has arisen for an IAS Engineer who will work within a team of intelligent systems, autonomous systems and command and control (C2) engineers. The team develops and evaluates algorithms spanning a range of domains from on-board, autonomous decision making, to off-board C2 algorithms.
Our algorithms are central to the design of sophisticated guided weapon systems products. These algorithms are developed throughout the lifecycle of the product and include research studies to investigate algorithms for future developments.
IAS engineers are involved in the lifecycle of projects, playing a pivotal role in our product developments including:
- Technical development of specific algorithms or studies for key programmes within MBDA.
- Feasibility studies, algorithm design and trade-off studies, preparing trials, trials analysis and reporting, defining architecture, validating algorithms and models.
- Technical assessments and investigations into a full range of issues and problems and prepare and develop solutions either solely or as a member of a project team.
- Engaging with the algorithm users, understanding and responding to their needs and ensure that the algorithms are fit for purpose.
What we’re looking for
Successful applicants would be (preferably) PhD qualified in related area or a degree with strong, mathematical content and programming skills; and a keen interest in cutting-edge technologies.
Relevant experience (Post-Doctoral or Industrial) in robotics, data fusion, tracking/estimation, pattern discovery & recognition, statistical inference, optimisation and machine/deep learning algorithms along with real-time implementation, and/or validation & verification is a strong advantage.
Experience in Matlab, Simulink and/or Stateflow, Python including PyTorch, TensorFlow, Open AI-Gym/Universe or Model Based Design would be desirable.
We encourage our IAS Engineers to cultivate a broad and in-depth knowledge across a variety of fields and topics. However, specific knowledge or experience in any of these areas is of benefit:
- Robotics, guidance and autonomous decision making, e.g. Routing and motion/trajectory planning, optimisation, co-ordinated guidance and control, decision theory, MDPs/POMDPs, specialist systems, game theory, decision support systems, multi-agent systems
- Data fusion and state estimation/tracking algorithms e.g. Kalman Filtering, multiple-model tracking methods, particle filters, grid-based estimation methods, Multi-Object-Multi-Sensor Fusion, data-association, random finite sets, Bayesian belief networks, Dempster-Shafer theory of evidence
- Machine Learning for regression and pattern recognition/discovery problems e.g. Gaussian processes, latent variable methods, support vector machines, probabilistic/statistical models, neural networks, Bayesian inference, random-forests, novelty detection, clustering
- Deep Learning e.g. Deep reinforcement learning, Monte-Carlo tree search, deep regression/classification, deep embeddings, recurrent Networks, natural language processing
- Computer Vision algorithms e.g. Structure from motion, image Based navigation, SLAM, pose estimation/recovery,
What’s in it for you?
As an international team we work closely with other related subject areas e.g. Simulation and Modelling, Software, Hardware-in-the Loop, Systems Design & Validation, Seekers & Sensors, Datalinks and Technical Quality.
We are exposed to cutting-edge technological innovations and play a meaningful role through the development of our complex weapon systems.
There are real opportunities to develop your career
- *Flexible working *opportunities for career progression *paid overtime (subject to level) *great bonus scheme *comprehensive pension scheme *annual salary review *fantastic working environment and site facilities *social, charitable and sporting activities.
Join a great team!
This is a stimulating environment, and there are exciting opportunities along with exposure to high-profile, fast-paced projects. We are an innovative bunch of individuals with track record in achieving project breakthroughs on time and on budget.
MBDA is an award winning company; committed to providing an inclusive working environment where our employees can be themselves and everyone has equal opportunity to reach their full potential. We value difference and know that a diverse community makes for greater innovation and brings a breadth of skills, experience and perspectives.
We’re here to help and want to ensure you have a positive experience throughout our recruitment process. We recognise that everyone is unique and we encourage you to speak to us should you require any advice, support or adjustments.
MBDA is a proud member of Working Families – the UK’s work-life balance organisation. We welcome applicants who are looking for flexible working arrangements.
We understand that flexibility benefits our people, our teams and our business; wherever possible we will seek to accommodate a blended approach to on-site and remote working
Follow MBDA on LinkedIn (MBDA), Twitter (@MBDAcareers) and Instagram (lifeatMBDA_UK).
Please Note: MBDA UK requires all employees to achieve the appropriate clearance relevant to the role.