MBDA Missile Systems - Deliver For A More Secure Tomorrow
Role Title and Location: Lead Systems Engineer, Network Enabled Weapon Communications, Bristol
MBDA Level: 5
Reports to: Head of Network Enabled Weapons Group, Network Communications Department (UK)
This is a rare opportunity to join the Network Enabled Weapon Communications Group as the Lead Systems Engineer. As a technical leader, you will further develop the Network Enabled Weapons (NEW) capabilities in MBDA, apply them on current development projects as well as concept studies, and ensure they are sustained for application to future projects. Working with the Head of the Network Enabled Weapons Group, you will ensure that the network implementation on our product is fit for purpose and will operate coherently when integrated into the military platforms and networks.
What are we looking for?
- Commitment – To further develop a sustainable capability in Network Enabled Weapon Communications in MBDA(UK) – meaning the development of technical knowledge and system understanding to ensure our products are successful
- Passion – You must have a high level of passion for NEWs and associated communication technologies. You must have a passion for project delivery, personal development & learning
- Team Spirit – You must have the ability to inspire people in your team and in other projects, as well as external stakeholders, to the positive benefit of the project. You must have the energy and resilience to drive forward good ideas to completion and positively influence others
- Integrity – You will be seen as one of the key technical leaders in Network Enabled Weapon Communications and will be considered a role model for others. You will need to gain the trust and confidence of everyone involved in the project
- Innovation – You will need to respond positively to the need for continuous improvement and find better, more efficient ways to deliver your inputs to MBDA products
What’s in it for you?
- You will have a pivotal technical involvement in an exciting project at a crucial phase in the product lifecycle. Network Enabled Weapons are a game-changing capability and you could be part of their development
- You will gain a technical understanding of Tactical Data Links (TDL), including Link 16, future evolutions of TDLs, radio frequency technologies and products
- You will be part of a high performing team and functional department with your personal and professional development at the centre of its mission
- You will provide technical leadership inside of MBDA, for our immediate stakeholders and for the wider Network Enabled Weapon communications community
- The role could develop into a Technical Expert role, depending upon the quality and motivations of the successful candidate
- You will represent the project and company in international meetings
- You will develop strong relationships with all internal and external key stakeholders.
What would you get?
- Competitive salary, flexible working, paid overtime (subject to level), a comprehensive pension scheme, employee funded voluntary private healthcare, sporting activities, fantastic site facilities, bonus schemes (subject to level), superb learning and development opportunities and more….
The responsibilities of the Lead Systems Engineer, Network Enabled Weapon Communications are to:
- Set the strategy for, and manage, all systems engineering activities within the Network Enabled Weapons Communications Team, ensuring a cohesive and consistent specification and qualified design solution for the Link 16 communications functions on the SPEAR3 weapon system.
- Lead the system engineering activities for platform integration of the SPEAR3 weapon system in respect of the communications functional chains
- Develop a respected position in the MoD NEW policy forum in respect of MBDA as a key implementer of weapon systems with networked capability
- Manage the iSMART process for the Link 16 implementation through to integration onto the aircraft platform. This will include both technical development and documentation, as well as relevant stakeholder management
- Own the post-launch data link interface definition
- Support the development / specification of Network Enabled Weapon variants and integration of them onto military platforms in respect of a Link 16 system implementation
- Build a wider technical capability in the communications team, including interoperability management, through the development of less experienced engineers
What’s great about the team?
- The team consists of a set of very capable and high performing individuals
- The team is well established and very motivated to deliver what is required
MBDA is an award winning company; committed to providing an inclusive working environment where our employees can be themselves and everyone has equal opportunity to reach their full potential. We value difference and know that a diverse community makes for greater innovation and brings a breadth of skills, experience and perspectives.
We’re here to help and want to ensure you have a positive experience throughout our recruitment process. We recognise that everyone is unique and we encourage you to speak to us should you require any advice, support or adjustments.
MBDA is a proud member of Working Families – the UK’s work-life balance organisation. We welcome applicants who are looking for flexible working arrangements.
We understand that flexibility benefits our people, our teams and our business; wherever possible we will seek to accommodate a blended approach to on-site and remote working
Follow MBDA on LinkedIn (MBDA), Twitter (@MBDAcareers) and Instagram (lifeatMBDA_UK).
Please Note: MBDA UK requires all employees to achieve the appropriate clearance relevant to the ro