AWE is currently recruiting for a Theoretical Scientist to exercise and improve capability in understanding nuclear warhead design, performance, effectiveness and national nuclear security through theoretical research, modelling and assessment.
Location - Reading area
Package - £33,300 - £45,000 (depending on your suitability and level of experience)
AWE (one of the best 25 big companies to work for in the UK) offers an attractive array of benefits which include:
- Market leading contributory pension scheme
- Generous holiday entitlement (270 hours a year plus every other Friday off)
- Flexible working hours
- Salary sacrifice scheme
- Consideration for either full time or part time hours. Just let us know on your application if you wish to work part time
- Relocation package available (terms and conditions apply)
This role will involve working within the High Temperature Theory Team within the Materials Physics Group (MPG). The MPG is a predominantly Physics based multi-discipline group, that contributes to AWE's understanding of the behaviour of relevant materials. MPG undertakes fundamental scientific research, experimental trials and software model development to provide answers directly into our customer community.
The High Temperature Theory Team uses theoretical modelling techniques to understand and predict the behaviour of materials in the warm-dense to plasma regime. We develop models to represent the physical processes occurring within such materials and validate those models in comparison to experimental data. We also support/maintain the code frameworks for use on High-Performance Computing. In this role, you will undertake both physics (model) and computational (source code) development in order to support company objectives. Candidates should have a strong background in the use of scientific computational modelling methods.
You will be responsible for the following:
- Planning and delivery of technical assessments using appropriate methodologies.
- Planning, development, validation and verification of theoretical models and software codes.
- Engagement with relevant communities across AWE, including teams responsible for delivering high-temperature experimental data.
- Contribute to interactions with international partners and external stakeholders in their field.
- Participate in Review, Learn and Improve activities and implement the outcomes to ensure the continued development and implementation of best practice in the delivery of technical work.
Whilst not considered a check list, we are interested in hearing from candidates who can demonstrate some of the following:
- Degree or equivalent experience in Physics, Mathematics, Computer Science or other numerate discipline
- Experience in undertaking scientific research in either a post-graduate or industrial context
- Experience in scientific programming using languages such as Fortran, C++, or a similar high-level language, and of working in the Unix/Linux environment
- A specialism in one or more of the following areas is advantageous:
- Equation of state
- Using bespoke software to complete detailed analyses of physical problems
- Working level of experience in undertaking technical research and conducting technical assessments to draw sound scientific conclusions
- A clear and concise communication approach, both oral and written
- The ability to prioritise a varied workload for self or a small team; ensuring timely delivery with minimum supervision
- A methodical approach to complex problem solving using technical knowledge
Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role.
AWE plays a crucial role in the defence of the United Kingdom, by providing and maintaining the warheads for the country's nuclear deterrent. We are a centre of scientific, engineering and technological excellence, with some of the most advanced research, design and production facilities in the world. Our unique expertise also assists the UK Government in developing and delivering a range of innovative and integrated support services, including national nuclear security and counter-terrorism solutions.
AWE is an equal opportunities employer. We value diversity and welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds. We particularly welcome applications from sections of the community which are currently under-represented at AWE, including women, BAME and disabled people.