Machine Tools Engineer
Location: Reading/Basingstoke area
Package: £33,850.00 - c£48,000 (depending on suitability and level of experience)
AWE (one of the best 25 big companies to work for in the UK) offers an attractive array of benefits which include:
- Market leading contributory pension scheme
- Generous holiday entitlement (270 hours a year plus every other Friday off)
- Flexible working hours
- Salary sacrifice scheme
- Consideration for either full time or part time hours. Just let us know on your application if you wish to work part time
- Relocation package available (terms and conditions apply)
We are currently looking to recruit a Multi-Disciplined Machine Tool Engineer to join our team working from our sites based near Reading.
You will be responsible for performing a variety of Machine Tool lifecycle activities from assistance with installation, breakdown, maintenance, servicing and error mapping in order to optimise plant and equipment availability. You will have the opportunity to develop your skills in Machine Tool design on challenging bespoke projects across a range of facilities. This will require a focussed and consistent approach working with and directing Capital projects, where the Machinery Directive and associated standards and legislative requirements will be applied in full.
You will be required to:
- Using a high degree of skill and high technical ability carry out a wide range of maintenance activities efficiently and in a timely manner on plant and equipment
- Apply a range of technical fault-finding skills within own discipline. Gather plant data and analysis result, using a range of techniques
- Implementation of modifications as directed by Task Manager
- Inspect and endorse the quality of own work to ensure it meets the required specification.
- Apply mentoring skills to less experienced craft team members and apprentices
- Ensure the understanding and application of responsibilities with regard to the Company's Environment, Health, Safety, Security and Quality Standards
To be successful in this role you will have:
- Engineering Apprenticeship with a minimum NVQ Level 4 or equivalent work experience
- C&G (as appropriate) / ONC/HNC or above
- Willing and able to obtain the required security for these roles
- These roles are governed by Health and Safety at Work Regulations and require all candidates to have an Occupational Health-set fitness level in order to wear the appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) needed to work in controlled environments
- General knowledge of plant, equipment and processes related to trade
- Knowledge of maintenance practices, technologies and techniques
- Conversant in fault-finding techniques and methodologies
- Knowledge of the Health and Safety at Work Act
- Understanding and use of Safe Systems of work
- Working experience of operational plant maintenance service delivery
AWE plays a crucial role in the defence of the United Kingdom, by providing and maintaining the warheads for the country's nuclear deterrent. We are a centre of scientific, engineering and technological excellence, with some of the most advanced research, design and production facilities in the world. Our unique expertise also assists the UK Government in developing and delivering a range of innovative and integrated support services, including national nuclear security and counter-terrorism solutions.
AWE is an equal opportunities employer. We value diversity and welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds. We particularly welcome applications from sections of the community which are currently under-represented at AWE, including women, BAME and disabled people.