AWE is currently recruiting for a Software Developer to provide Visualisation and Data Science support, through the development and deployment of software techniques and solutions on AWE's high performance computing (HPC) platforms.
The hiring manager is willing to consider applications from individuals at different stages of their career - recent Graduates or a qualified Scientist with industry experience. Previous experience of Data Visualisation or Data Science would be an advantage but is not essential.
Location - Reading area
Package - £33,300 - c£44,000 (depending on your suitability and level of experience)
AWE (one of the best 25 big companies to work for in the UK) offers an attractive array of benefits which include:
- Market leading contributory pension scheme
- Generous holiday entitlement (270 hours a year plus every other Friday off)
- Flexible working hours
- Salary sacrifice scheme
- Consideration for either full time or part time hours. Just let us know on your application if you wish to work part time
- Relocation package available (terms and conditions apply)
What will you be required to do?
- Help develop and improve visualisation systems to deal with large scale complex data produced on High Performance Computing (HPC) platforms
- Design, coding, testing, installation and maintenance of software modules
- Production of suitable online documentation
- Help provide support for visualising experimental results
- Providing appropriate assistance to customers to resolve technical problems/queries
- Assist in production of publication quality images and movies
- Interacting with software and hardware suppliers, academia and US National Laboratories
- Maintaining an awareness of current and future developments in the Visualisation and Data Science fields
What will you need to be considered?
As mentioned, the hiring manager is flexible on the level of experience applicants can have but it's essential that you'll have the following:
- The ability to program in C, C++, Fortran or a similar high-level language (ideally C++)
- A basic understanding of computer architectures
- Ability to capture software requirements and produce appropriate implementations
- Clear and concise communication: both oral and written
- Ability to integrate and work well in a team and support technical lead in projects
- A Degree or equivalent experience in Computer Science, Physics, Mathematics or other numerate discipline
Any of the following would be an advantage:
- Knowledge of Visualisation, Computer Graphics or Data Science techniques
- Experience of Software testing, continuous integration or deployment
- Familiarity with scripting languages (ideally Python)
- Experience of using debuggers and performance analysis tools
- Familiarity with Object orientated technology
- Familiarity with VisIt, ParaView, EnSight, IDL, VTK or similar visualisation packages
- Exposure to scientific computing
- Experience working with Open Source software
- Experience working in Unix/Linux environment
Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role.
AWE plays a crucial role in the defence of the United Kingdom, by providing and maintaining the warheads for the country's nuclear deterrent. We are a centre of scientific, engineering and technological excellence, with some of the most advanced research, design and production facilities in the world. Our unique expertise also assists the UK Government in developing and delivering a range of innovative and integrated support services, including national nuclear security and counter-terrorism solutions.
AWE is an equal opportunities employer. We value diversity and welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds. We particularly welcome applications from sections of the community which are currently under-represented at AWE, including women, BAME and disabled people.