At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
The Engineering Department (EN) pushes forward the limits of technology to provide innovative research tools to the physics and engineering worldwide community. Within the cooling and ventilation (CV) group of the EN department, you will join the Methods, Store and Electrical Section (GEM), which is in charge of the definition of maintenance procedures, computerized maintenance management implementation, spare parts store management and electrical work.
Are you a qualified and proactive electrical technician, willing to contribute to a unique working environment at the heart of one of the world's most complex and exciting scientific experiments? Then, this opportunity is for you - join the largest particle physics research laboratory in the world. CERN, take part!
As electrical technician in EN-CV you will:
- Support the technical electrical design studies for both new works and modification to existing cooling and ventilation installations.
- Take part in architectural design choices of cooling and ventilation plant electrical systems (power and control cubicles, cabling of equipment such as motors, instruments, actuators).
- Contribute to writing technical specifications.
- Verify the compliance of electrical documentation, such as electrical drawings and technical data sheets, produced by external contractors.
- Follow-up, coordinate and report to reference engineers on electrical systems construction work to ensure compliance with safety rules, technical standards, contractual documents, within schedule and budget.
- Participate in the testing and commissioning of cooling and ventilation plants.
- Perform measurements and short circuit, system protection and selectivity analyses on electrical industrial plants.
- Provide support to the operation team in issues with the electrical installations.
- Propose and implement technical solutions for the repair, modification and improvement of electrical installations.
- Update the electrical systems and documentation in the computerised maintenance management and document management systems.
Higher technical diploma or equivalent relevant experience in the field of electricity or a related field.
- Initial experience adhering to and applying safety rules for construction and maintenance work in electrical systems.
- Initial experience in the supervision of industrial work sites and in testing and commissioning of electrical plants.
- Initial experience in participating to design studies for electrical systems, in particular load lists, electrical drawings and short circuit, system protection and selectivity analyses.
- Initial experience in any of the following systems would be an asset: ventilation, compressed air production, air conditioning or cooling systems.
- Construction, test and commissioning of electrical circuits and networks
- Knowledge of electrical machine technology
- Operation and maintenance of electromechanical equipment and systems
- Design of low voltage electrical systems and power and control cubicles
- Working in Teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships Seeking to help other team members when own work is done; supporting others Supporting and acting in accordance with team decisions; accepting joint responsibility for team successes and shortcomings
English or French: spoken and written, with the ability to understand and speak the other language in everyday situations would be an asset.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 12.11.2021.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and official holidays.
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence is required.
- Shift work, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 3-4
Job reference: EN-CV-GEM-2021-68-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Electrical Technician