Systems Design Engineer (Telecoms)
Job Reference: V11399a
Location: Warwick/Haywood Road
Closing Date: 18/10/2021
Employment Type: Permanent
Division: Rail Engineering
A great opportunity for a Rail Ops Comms Designer to join a growing team to work on some exciting projects. Working within our Rail Telecoms Team you will be responsible for the systems design of operational telecoms equipment and systems for UK Mainline Rail and Metro projects. This will include copper & fibre cabling, signal post telephony (SPT), concentrators, transmission, radio and some IP networking. Where deemed competent you may also be nominated for the role of Telecoms Design Contractor's Responsible Engineer (CRE).
Responsibilities will include:
- undertake and lead all telecoms design aspects on assigned projects, which may include site survey visits where required
- produce telecoms systems design packages along with the physical implementation of stage works
- compliance to industry and railway standards, whilst also considering the clients' requirements
- producing Bill Of Materials and equipment lists to support subsequent build phases
- undertake and lead all technical aspects on assigned telecommunications bid proposals when required
Skills and experience required:
- Proven experience of producing Design packages for operational telecom services as part of an upgrade or renewal of a legacy telecom system.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to clearly communicate within a project team.
- Proven experience and knowledge of new and legacy telecom systems on Network Rail infrastructure such as: Transmission (SDH and PDH), Telephone Concentrators/PABXs, Cable Networks (Fibre, Copper, Structured), PETS Systems and operational phones, IP Networking (Cisco systems) & Radio Systems (GSMR, CSR, NRN)
- Knowledge of the designers’ responsibilities under the CDM regulations
- Effective communication skills (both written and verbal)
- Attention to detail is essential even within short timescale work scopes.
Telent Technology Services Limited is a leading technology company and specialist in the design, build, operation, and maintenance of the UK’s critical digital infrastructure, drawing on decades of experience in mission critical communications and technology.
With a strong focus on key customer areas including transport, emergency services, network providers and the public sector, our expertise, accreditations and knowledge make us a trusted partner for organisations at the forefront of the digital revolution. And it’s not just us saying this; we are consistently named as a Top Supplier across industry expert analyses, including ranking 16th in the Sunday Times 2020 Top Track 250 List of Britain’s leading mid-market private companies.
Excellent employee benefits:
telent is committed to ensuring that we offer industry leading career opportunities, salary and benefits packages. Join us and you can expect to receive:
- 33 days holiday, including public holidays, plus the option to buy or sell five days each year
- Company pension scheme
- A range of family friendly policies
- An employee-funded car leasing scheme
- Occupational health support
- Discounts on Cinema, Restaurants and Shopping with telent Reward scheme
telent is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to diversity and inclusion