Lead Project Engineer - Station Comms
Flexible Working Location
Job Reference: V11641
Location: Flexible Working Location
Employment Type: Permanent
Division: Rail Projects
Due to a number of new exciting projects we have a great opportunity for an experienced Project Engineer with station comms systems experience to join our growing Rail Projects Team. With our 'agile working' policy the successful candidate can predominantly work from home with base location being their nearest Telent office.
Telent design and commission a variety of station comms systems for customers including Network Rail and the Train Operating Companies (TOCs). These systems include Station Management Systems, Security CCTV (Analogue and IP), Customer Information Systems and Displays, Public Address, Voice Alarm and Induction Loops, Passenger Help Points and Data Networks. As a Lead Project Engineer, you will be part of the Rail Projects senior team shaping the strategy for our station comms projects with responsibility for coordinating resources effectively.
Reporting to the Programme Manager – Station Comms, you will act as the key interface between the Project Delivery teams, design teams (Telent and/or 3rd parties), Contractors Engineering Managers (CEM) and Testers In Charge (TICs) to ensure projects are adequately resourced regarding competence, consistency and accuracy in the design/testing and approach.
Responsibilities will include:
- Supporting Station Comms portfolio programme reviews ensuring all engineering activities are completed in line with programme requirements and to ensure projects are efficiently delivered to contract requirements, quality and safety standards and to project timescales
- Working alongside the CEM to be part of the review process for the requirements capture, planning and delivery of the surveys and individual design disciplines output to meet the required programme
- Where necessary assisting with the creation/enhancement of the design output to achieve project objectives
- Performing value engineering on the design outputs and check to ensure that all designs can be implemented at site level through buildability dialogue and review with the Operations team and/or supply chain delivery partner
- Supporting the Project Delivery team with procurement, logistics, site access dependencies leading to site mobilisation.
- Supporting the Project Delivery team to coordinate any internal or supplier FATs and/or SATs, with supply chain and T&C team, including assisting with the set up and configuration of equipment. Where time constraints demand shall assist with the FAT/SAT build environment and test
- Providing on-site support especially during the Testing and Commissioning phase of the works and review all documentation to ensure consistent and accurate
- Ensuring adequate processes are in place to ensure successful capture of data to include in the Operational and Maintenance manuals and the Health and Safety File
- Providing input into continuous improvement and develop mechanisms to simplify and streamline the Telent design, reporting and delivery processes
Skills and experience required:
- Experience in design, testing and commissioning station comms systems (Station Management Systems, Security CCTV, Customer Information Systems and Displays, Public Address, Voice Alarm and Induction Loops, Passenger Help Points, Data Networks etc)
- Strong engineering background with sufficient knowledge to effectively challenge proposed designs and ensure buildability
- Knowledge of GRIP (3-8) or PACE governance processes
- Ability to influence and coordinate others
- Strong customer focus and ability to build relationships at all levels
- Supplier management experience
- Keen problem solver
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Excellent employee benefits:
Telent is committed to ensuring that we offer industry leading career opportunities, salary and benefits packages. Join us and you can expect to receive:
- 33 days holiday, including public holidays, plus the option to buy or sell five days each year
- Company pension scheme
- A range of family friendly policies
- Occupational health support
- Discounts on Cinema, Restaurants and Shopping with Telent Reward scheme
Telent Technology Services Limited is a leading technology company and specialist in the design, build, operation, and maintenance of the UK’s critical digital infrastructure, drawing on decades of experience in mission critical communications and technology.
With a strong focus on key customer areas including transport, emergency services, network providers and the public sector, our expertise, accreditations and knowledge make us a trusted partner for organisations at the forefront of the digital revolution. And it’s not just us saying this; we are consistently named as a Top Supplier across industry expert analyses, including ranking 16th in the Sunday Times 2020 Top Track 250 List of Britain’s leading mid-market private companies.
Telent is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to diversity and inclusion