IT/Telecoms Field Engineer
Job Reference: V11701
Closing Date: 29/10/2021
Employment Type: Permanent
Business: Network Services
Field Service Engineer/Technician required for a Dublin and surrounding area role covering both IT and Radio/Telecoms environments. This role requires shift work and on-call and across multi-disciplined technology so you must be comfortable with all of those aspects.
Deliver excellent Customer Service by providing Project and Maintenance installation and “In Life” Technical support for Solutions that Telent are designing or contracted to maintain on the island of Ireland on behalf of our Customers. Primary focus will be for the operations / locations stated above.
- Install equipment and installation materials using latest issue contract manuals and procedural documents to required standards of quality and time under the guidance of the Project Lead Engineer.
- Work to currently issued Telent QEHS and ISO standards.
- Submission and contribution to installation / “as-built” documentation for Projects / Upgrade work for review by Project Lead Engineer. This includes the upload to the relevant secure storage area and assist in the cascading of this information to others who may require access to it.
- Accurate and timely completion and submission of all required site administration and completion documents as requested by the Project Lead Engineer.
- Ensure all Receipt of deliveries is passed / notified to Lead Project Engineer.
- May be asked to assist with the delivery of programmes of work in region on behalf of FOS.
- Ensure that all Preventative Maintenance work, as contracted by Telent’s Customers, is carried out in accordance with the Contract Services agreement in place and is carried out in a timely manner. Ensure that all required documentation is complete, accurate and submitted within the agreed timescales.
- To participate in an out of hours on call rota to provide technical support to Telent’s Customers where required.
- Provide Technical Break / Fix support for Customers installed solutions.
- Identification of persistent / repetitive faults requiring Problem Management.
- Provide escalation to Problem Management for ongoing repetitive incidents of similar nature.
- Involved with Proactive monitoring of Customers solutions to pre-empt where possible likelihood of incidents resulting in potential outages.
- To assist with the input of data in the compilation of detailed technical reports as may be required for maintenance / resolution queries and root cause analysis
- Completion of all Customer paperwork in a timely manner as required to close tasks.
- Utilisation of Telent’s Mobile Workforce Management software to accept / mobilise / update and close, in a timely and accurate manner, all incidents / tasks allocated to the Engineer.
- Daily review of the Open incidents for your region, actively managing your own workflow and utilisation to close out open incidents.
- Escalation to Service Manager when Third Party Contractors are required to complete a task / incident.
- Completion of Third-Party RMA processes for the repair and return of faulty equipment.
- Notification to Senior Engineer / Service Manager of out of date information held in secure technical storage area that requires updating and issuance to key personnel.
- Accurate and timely submission of all payroll data and expense claims in accordance with published processes.
- Complete general risk assessment prior to commencement of each task on site. Record in site diary where applicable.
- Maintain adequate and ‘in date’ personal protective equipment sufficient for all tasks undertaken and ensure that it is used in line with Manufacturers guidance at all times.
- Manage all personal issue tooling and test equipment in line with published processes to ensure that it is fit for purpose, calibrated and PAT tested as appropriate to complete all assigned tasks.
- Efficient management of all on-hire equipment ensuring items are returned promptly after use to minimise cost.
- Compliance with the company auditing processes and procedures in accordance with ISO requirements.
- Knowledge & understanding of all Company Policy, Processes and Procedures relating to Field activities.
- Care and maintenance of company vehicle and be fully compliant with all relevant driver policies. Ensure vehicles roadworthiness including but not limited to booking of MOT/NCT/CVRT tests, legality of tyres, operation of wipers & lights.
- Manage skills profile and training records on TADS.
- Timely and accurate submission of hours and expenses.
- Participate in Individual and Team meetings.
Project Lead Support:
- Reporting to the Overall Lead Project Engineer / Project Manager you may be asked to act as the Lead Engineer for subsets of work within a larger project based on previous experience or knowledge drawn from a pool of Field Engineers in mobilising work for new customers, products or technologies.
- May be asked to Lead and coordinate a team of in house or contract staff engaged in all aspects of install and test site activity.
- May be asked to Lead / coordinate installation and testing of equipment and materials from contract manuals and procedural documents to required standards of quality and time.
- Local primary point of reference for Telent management and customer representatives.
- Reporting to Overall Lead Engineer / Local Customer Service Manager or Project Manager on contract progress and completion.
- On site management of materials, tooling and plant.
Pre-Sales Support – Technical:
- Provide input to bids and other technical documents as required.
Training – Technical and Non-Technical:
- Deliver Peer training to other field engineers, subcontract staff and customers.
- Attend Manufacturer Training Courses where they are appropriate and are available.
Business Operations Skills – Experience
- Reasonable experience in a similar environment or successful completion of relevant training programme or Apprenticeship.
- Ideally IP and Radio skills or equivalent and experience working on Network infrastructure products / PC’s and radio products.
- Proven knowledge of health and safety and best working practices.
- Has knowledge and experience in installation, testing or commissioning of products across multiple technologies and manufacturers.
- Proven experience of working within a field-based team providing service in a safety critical environment.
- High attention to detail.
- Experienced and proficient in MS Office (Excel / Word / Visio and PowerPoint).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- The ability to achieve high levels of data accuracy.
- Works with a limited degree of supervision.
- Can work efficiently independently and as part of a team.
- Proactive in passing information on, communicating to colleagues and team members when it is clear they benefit from the information.
- Gives clear direction and checks understanding of customer expectations.
- Proven capability / knowledge of Installation & Commissioning of IT Network / microwave / Radio Communications infrastructure / vehicle-based communications solutions.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to bring diverse teams together.
- Practical field or engineering experience within the wireless and wired networks environment.
- Experience in supporting change in a complex environment.
- Qualified and experienced at working safely at height.
- Understanding of wireless telecommunications and radio solutions.
- Innovative - capable of looking for creative solutions to problems.
Business Operations Skills – Qualifications
- HND/HNC/ONC or equivalent in an appropriate discipline or
- Equivalent work experience or qualifications that provides knowledge of, and exposure to, the elements as outlined in the typical deliverables above.
- Learns quickly, applying knowledge when faced with new problems, products or situations.
- Uses rigorous logical methods or a more experienced-based approach to solve difficult problems with effective solutions.
- Keen to learn and develop new and existing skills.
- Able to absorb new product information.
- Proactive in researching information to further understanding.
- Builds trust and a collaborative relationship with stakeholders and colleagues within the team by consistently delivering on promises and presenting a balanced view.
- Strives for continuous improvement, delivers and supports new processes and directions.
- A real “Can Do” positive outlook and attitude to any problems and difficulties faced.
- Tenacious - finds ways around difficult problems by not giving up.
- Leads with conviction and commitment, bestowing Telent values into all aspects of delivery.
- Being prepared to “call out” when something is “not right” in a constructive and positive way