We are currently looking to recruit an Engineering Scientist to help us craft pioneering equipment for performing neutron diffraction on materials at extremely high temperatures. You will also be supported and encouraged to develop your own scientific programme based around high-temperature materials.
About the Role
This is a multi-faceted role which will involve you designing equipment to support our work with high-temperature materials, whilst also delivering these ideas via computational modelling and developing proto-types. Alongside this, you will be looking into ways to measure the temperature and deformation of the sample while it is held at high temperatures.
Further responsibilities include:
- Producing designs (including CAD geometries, materials selection) for all components of the heating apparatus.
- Developing a best practice solution for strain measurement, which can be used by inexperienced operators.
- Producing Risk Assessments for the operation of the heating device.
- To participate in neutron experiments on our specialized equipment with users from universities and industry.
We are looking for someone with:
- D. in materials, physics, mechanical engineering, or equivalent experience.
- Scientific track record in a relevant subject area (academic publication or technical designs).
- Practical research or design experience with engineering alloys, or other structural materials.
- Qualitative understanding of basic thermal properties of materials.
This role sits within our Crystallography Group at ISIS, which operates the ENGIN-X diffractometer. This equipment offers the means to study how materials respond at the atomic level to deformation at a range of temperatures, currently up to 1000°C. The facility attracts visiting experimental scientists from both academia and industry, using it to study new materials for jet engines, reliability of welds, or methods for 3D printing of materials.
This position comes with a wealth of opportunities for learning and development within your field. Additionally, we provide a whole host of employee benefits including; 30 days holiday (in addition to bank holidays), an excellent pension scheme, employee shopping/travel discounts, a salary sacrifice cycle to work scheme, plus many more benefits and wellbeing initiatives that enable our employees to have an excellent work-life balance.
We will ensure, where possible, that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform crucial job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
UKRI is an Equal Opportunity & Disability Confident Employer.
How to apply:
If you are interested in applying for this role, please contact Dr Joe Kelleher .
Closing Date: 5th December 2021