At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation's history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
A key member of the Capture and Delivery team, this role will lead the analysis of capability needs and provide the solution architecture vision from a range of options. This will involve defining and delivering an approach to successfully design, describe and manage the solution engineering of safe and secure command, control and information systems (C2IS). Demonstration of very strong systems thinking skills and will be expected to provide support to bids and proposals and project delivery tasks.
- Undertake architecture cost/benefit trade off studies across the spectrum of available solution options.
- Identifying the most appropriate technical solution to solve present and future capability needs.
- Describe the function, structure, characteristics, behaviour and other aspects of a solution to a wide array of key stakeholders.
- Define features, phases and solution requirements.
- Develop architectures and specifications in order for the solution to be elaborated, defined, managed and delivered.
- Able to develop and manage interpersonal relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Provide technical proposal inputs and support to the Bid team.
- To be the Solution Lead during governance reviews both internally and externally facing.
- Provide technical Systems Engineering and Project Management inputs to contribute to planning, scheduling and cost control/monitoring activities.
- Formulate the strategic technical vision of the solution by exploiting knowledge of available technologies.
- Have the ability to understand how all parts of the overall system operates to allow a viable solution to be developed.
- A well-built architecture will help teams to develop the product to time and budget constraints and achieve the intended needs.
- Drive a Digital culture to help develop new solutions that integrates digital technology into all areas of the business. (eg. Digital Twin and Model Based approaches).
- Identify, develop and help win opportunities that are both in the traditional domain for Northrop Grumman UK and those adjacent.
- Work closely with Business and Technical Directors, Business Development and Chief Technologists.
- Contribute to the following:
- Analysis of the organisation and enterprise specifics.
- Analysis of the Technology environment.
- Analysing and documenting requirements.
- Implementing a collaborative working framework.
- The identification and selection of technology.
- Creating a solution prototype.
- Supporting Programme Management.
- Drive the decision-making processes for exceptional activities or circumstances and deviations.
- Support risk reviews, programme reviews and design reviews.
Review and Audit
- Conduct periodic self-assessment, review and audit of design standards, methods, competencies and processes & procedures in the quality system.
General Operational duties
- Attend departmental/strategic meetings as required.
- Understand and remain compliant with all applicable Company Processes and procedures.
- Support the Head of Department in developing and growing a professional and engaged team.
- Adept at problem-solving, able to develop solutions to a variety of complex problems.
- Good attention to detail.
- Organised, adept at workload management and prioritising appropriately to meet deadlines.
- Flexible and responsive to changing priorities.
- Proactive team worker that promotes a collaborative working culture.
- Good interpersonal skills, able to engage effectively with all audiences/stakeholders and present relevant information clearly at all levels of the organization.
- Strong customer focus.
- Engaging ‘can do’ attitude.
- Has well-developed influencing skills.
- Proficient user of MS office.
- Competent in face-to-face presentation delivery and able to present relevant information.
- Good presentation and technical writing skills.
Essential qualifications / experience
- Degree-qualified in an Engineering or Science discipline or equivalent underpinning knowledge and understanding.
- Proven track record of delivering complex systems.
- Evidenced substantial experience in the structured analysis of user needs and solution options within the Defence industry.
- Substantial experience of systems requirements management, definition, design, integration, acceptance and analysis.
- Demonstrable knowledge and experience in solution architecting, utilising techniques and tools to help communicate the solution.
- Team leadership or a strong aptitude for managing and developing people.
Preferred qualifications / experience / knowledge
- Relevant experience within defence, maritime, aerospace, or a similarly regulated industrial sector.
- Experience of Architecture Framework approaches, such as MODAF and UAF.
- Experience of Model Based Systems Engineering (MBSE).
- Experience in use of Enterprise Architecture or System Modelling toolsets, such as MOOD and Cameo.
- INCOSE Certified/Expert Systems Engineering Professional.
- Chartered Engineer with up-to-date Engineering Council registration.
- Travel requirements: UK travel will be required to attend team/customer meetings.
- Clearance requirements: Post-holder must hold and maintain UK Government clearances where required
- Looking for flexibility? Speak to us at application stage about what may be possible.
Northrop Grumman is committed to equality and diversity in our workplace. Northrop Grumman provides equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants without regard to an individual's protected status, including race/ethnic origin, color, nationality, national origin, ancestry, sex/gender, gender identity/expression, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, marriage/civil partnership, pregnancy/maternity, religion or belief, creed, age, disability, genetic information, or any other protected status or characteristic.