MBDA Missile Systems - Deliver for a more secure tomorrow
MBDA is the lead for a laser directed energy demonstrator, which is UK MoDs future vision for a laser effector. A vacancy has arisen for a scientist/engineer to work in Bristol on the research and development of high energy lasers, specifically imaging through atmospheric turbulence and spatial stabilisation of high energy laser beams. The role will offer a mixture of design, lab work and field trials and you will work as part of a small team in a fast paced environment delivering the next generation of capability to the UK armed forces.
The successful applicant will be experienced in the prototype design and laboratory testing of optical assemblies. Speed, creativity and the ability to experiment will be key to the role, and you will conduct research on new optical and image processing techniques for laser pointing and tracking and be at the forefront of laser directed energy research.
You will become part of a diverse team of highly motivated scientists and engineers, who want to turn science fiction into reality by getting high energy lasers into service with the UK MoD as quickly as possible !
What were looking for
- Industry experience and knowledge / laboratory skills using lasers, optics and imaging.
- Creativity, imagination and the ability to innovate
- Ideally holding a higher degree (e.g. Masters or PhD) in physical sciences or engineering subject, however practical experience is as important as qualifications.
- Ability to automate and control test and measurement equipment for data capture (such as LabView)
- Record of successful technical work delivered individually and/or as part of a team
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and often from a blank sheet of paper
- Ability to use well-known computer simulation codes to carry out optical simulations(such as Matlab, Zemax)
- Ability to write computer code to examine large datasets (such as Matlab or Python)
Whats in it for you?
- Work on a high visibility and fast paced project with the opportunity to quickly accelerate you career through the organisation
- Be at the forefront of laser directed energy in the UK
- Contribute to high-level VIP visits in support of senior management
- Opportunity to travel in Europe supporting MBDA Group research activities
- Opportunity to attend international conferences to keep abreast of developments in the field
- Undertaking this role you would be joining a dynamic, focussed team responsible for the development of our future business
- *Flexible working *opportunities for career progression *paid overtime (subject to level) *great bonus scheme *comprehensive pension scheme *annual salary review *fantastic working environment and site facilities *social, charitable and sporting activities.
MBDA is an award winning company; committed to providing an inclusive working environment where our employees can be themselves and everyone has equal opportunity to reach their full potential. We value difference and know that a diverse community makes for greater innovation and brings a breadth of skills, experience and perspectives.
Were here to help and want to ensure you have a positive experience throughout our recruitment process. We recognise that everyone is unique and we encourage you to speak to us should you require any advice, support or adjustments.
MBDA is a proud member of Working Families the UKs work-life balance organisation. We welcome applicants who are looking for flexible working arrangements.
We understand that flexibility benefits our people, our teams and our business; wherever possible we will seek to accommodate a blended approach to on-site and remote working
Follow MBDA on LinkedIn (MBDA), Twitter (@MBDAcareers) and Instagram (lifeatMBDA_UK).
Please Note: MBDA UK requires all employees to achieve the appropriate clearance relevant to the role.