QinetiQ is developing two new radar cross section (RCS) measurement radar systems under the RLTPA. One will be ground-based. The other will be fitted to a pod mounted on a helicopter. These systems will be used by QinetiQ to measure the RCS of MOD assets, including ships and aircraft, as part of a long-term core business capability.
A self-motivated and experienced real-time embedded C, C++ software engineer is required to work within the radar subsystem team to undertake real-time embedded software development activities to support development of the radar subsystem processor.
The embedded software engineer will be responsible for designing, implementing and testing real-time embedded C/C++ software solutions for both the airborne and ground-based Radar RCS measurement systems.
Working as part of a small talented Embedded Software/FPGA Firmware engineering team, you will be involved in all phases of the project development lifecycle from requirements inception through to design, implementation, integration, test and deployment.
You will be required to design and develop highly efficient and robust software under bare metal and/or an embedded real-time OS (Linux and/or FreeRTOS) to control complex FPGA based signal processing firmware and implement complex system level algorithms in an RF System On Chip FPGA with ARM Cortex multicore processors.
You will be able to work independently with a methodical and systematic approach to solving challenging technical problems, while being able to work effectively within a team in an R & D based organisation.
- Take ownership for the development and delivery of complex real-time embedded C and C++ software.
- Responsible for all levels of software maturity, from initial concept generation through to design, prototyping, development, test and transition to production.
- Contribute to requirements and delivery plans for development of the real-time embedded software components.
- Support FPGA unit and radar subsystem level debugging and verification activities.
- Support and contribute to feasibility assessment and trade-off analysis of real-time software based algorithms.
- Provide risk assessments, suggest and execute feasibility investigations and guidance for bringing new technology to market.
- Communicate timely and accurate project status. Provide alternative problem resolution ideas.
- Ensure, in collaboration with the Software Lead that the complete set of requirements from which the software is to be developed are captured, communicated and managed (including design constraints, performance constraints, memory requirements, etc.).
- Contribute directly to the software architecture, detailed designs, test plans and other critical documentation artefacts.
- Ensure that software development activities are in accordance with the RCS project engineering process.
Essential Skils / Knowledge / Experience
- Hard real-time embedded C and C++ software development and debugging under bare metal and embedded RTOS’, specifically Linux and FreeRTOS.
- Experience with driver development and working at the software/hardware interface.
- Real-time embedded software design: requirements, architectural, detailed, unit tests and verification.
- Ability to develop software solutions, implementations and optimisations for challenging real-time signal processing algorithms.
- Experience with embedded software engineering best practice and development methodologies, e.g. V Model, Agile/Scrum methodologies, etc.
- Strong interpersonal and team working skills. Excellent verbal and written communication. Excellent problem solving skills.
- A relevant electrical or software related engineering honours degree.
Desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- A working knowledge of model based software development using Matlab/Simulink, UML, etc.
- Experience working with FPGA based embedded systems particularly Xilinx MPSoC ARM Cortex processors and the Vitis IDE.
- Experience with industry standard development tools, e.g. DOORS, Confluence, JIRA, BitBucket, Git, etc.
- An understanding of RF Systems, particularly Radar or EW.
- Familiarity with the use of common test equipment, e.g. oscilloscopes, spectrum analysers, logic analysers, signal generators, etc.
Why join QinetiQ?
As we continue to grow into new markets around the world, there’s never been a more exciting time to join QinetiQ. The formula for success is our appetite for innovation and having the courage to take on a wide variety of complex challenges.
You’ll experience a unique working environment where teams from different backgrounds, disciplines and experience enjoy collaborating widely and openly as we undertake this exciting and rewarding journey. Through effective teamwork, and pulling together, you’ll get to experience what happens when we all share different perspectives, blend disciplines, and link technologies; constantly discovering new ways of solving complex problems in an diverse and inclusive environment where you can be authentic, feel valued and realise your full potential. Read more about our diverse and inclusive workplace culture here.
Joining QinetiQ offers you an opportunity to work on a broad range of interesting defence-based projects with vast career progression across a global organisation in addition to competitive personal and professional benefits. You’ll receive a highly competitive salary and benefits package: our basic salaries are very attractive as we constantly review what’s happening in the market. The range of benefits that we offer include, adaptive and flexible working, generous holiday entitlements, Health Cash Plan, Private Medical Insurance and Dental Insurance and much more.
As a company of over 6,000 dedicated professionals, we are a world-centre of excellence in research and development and act as a catalyst for fast-track innovation, offering outstanding experimentation facilities, and technical, engineering and scientific expertise. QinetiQ is made up of dedicated experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets, all working together to explore new ways of protecting what matters most. Being part of QinetiQ means being central to the safety and security of the world around us. Partnering with our customers, we help to save lives; reduce risks to society; and maintain the global infrastructure on which we all depend. Come and find out how you can play a role.
Please note that many roles in QinetiQ are subject to national security vetting. Applicants that already hold the appropriate level of vetting may be able to transfer it upon appointment, subject to approval. A number of roles are also subject to restrictions on access to information that mean factors such as nationality, previous nationalities held and the country in which you were born may have an effect on the roles that you can be employed in.