At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation's history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
RoleTo provide technical leadership, people management and development support to Control System Software Engineers. Responsible for a team of all engineers at all levels from leads to graduates, with varying skill levels and experiences, and ensure the delivery of the software strategy through a focused and consistent approach to people management. To support career and personal development, driving improvement initiatives to improve the capacity, efficiency and effectiveness of the team.Specialised in meeting the technical capabilities of the business in 3 key areas; PLC Programming, SCADA/Object Orientated Software Engineering and Industrial Networking & Communications.Key Responsibilities – Line Management
- Responsible for ensuring that all Control Systems Software is carried out correctly, as per company processes and procedures across all our programs.
- Direct line management responsibilities for a team of Engineers – including tasks such as (but not limited to) career development, talent management, performance management, resource and leave management.
- Take responsibility engaging with the team, listening to identify any issues and challenges, escalating if needed, and ensuring appropriate and timely action is taken.
- Provide leadership for the team by coaching, mentoring, motivating and training to ensure that the team performs at its best.
- Be accountable for engagement activities for all the teams within role scope, working with key stakeholders on wider focus activities within the business.
- Hold regular 1-1 meetings with all team members to provide the opportunity to discuss development and career opportunities, and as well as listen to any worries or concerns they have, whether professionally or personally.
- Hold regular team meetings to flow down company information and discuss any issues or ideas for improvements.
- Responsible for utilisation across the team according to their tasking.
- Ensure, by liaising with Project Managers that the teams’ workload is suitably balanced, provide support to individuals if they are overloaded or a single point of failure for the team.
- Work with the Defence Software Manager, Software Leads, Business and Technical leadership to develop workforce plans, covering resourcing, training & development.
- Work with the Defence Software Manager to drive the recruitment for your team, to meet the capacity demanded by the workforce forecast with recruitment for available roles within the team.
- Be responsible for on-boarding successful candidates for in your team.
- Work with the Talent Scheme Lead to provide support to our early career talent pipelines through identifying mentors and buddies from within the team.
- Role model the NG “Manager” leadership characteristics.
Key Responsibilities – Technical
- Produce technical documentation in accordance with company/customer procedures.
- Specify, design and test solutions for PLC & SCADA control systems.
- Manage data communications with third party equipment.
- Develop PLC & SCADA code from multiple design formats such as Block Diagrams, Flow Charts or Pseudo Code.
- Validate software designs through analysis and test.
- Provide technical oversight of subcontractors.
- Support the preparation of contract changes and proposals.
- Be aware of and comply with company standards of conduct and all relevant statutory requirements.
- Provide input to project meetings and team briefings.
Competency/Skill requirements – Essential
- Must be a confident people manager with demonstrable experience. Previous people management experience is essential.
- Confident communicator, both written and verbal.
- Highly organised, self-managing, able to manage multiple activities at any one time.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, able to engage effectively with all audiences/stakeholders at all levels in the organisation.
- A deep appreciation and understanding of the skillsets and work conducted by Control Systems Engineers, and the requirements of building and developing the skillsets for the department.
- Selection & Specification of COTS PLC & SCADA equipment.
- Design and integration of PLC & SCADA control systems.
- High Level Programming Language experience within SCADA environments.
- Production of technical documentation.
- Software development Lifecycles, processes and procedures.
- 10+ years in a Control Systems engineering environment.
- Proven experience in PLC control systems design and programming.
- Degree, HND, HNC or equivalent in Electrical/Electronic engineering or a related discipline e.g. C&I engineering, Systems engineering.
- Experience of Large Infrastructure PLC & SCADA development.
- Systems engineering approach to software development.
- Experience with Object oriented programming languages like C++,C#, JAVA
- Design, and development of control / GUI software.
- Experience with unit test frameworks
- Siemens WinCC Open Architecture (OA)
- Understanding of industry standards such as BS EN 61508, 61511 and 61131.
- Experience within defence, maritime, aerospace, or a similarly regulated industrial sector (for example Oil & Gas, Pharma or PetroChem).
- Travel requirements: Occasional UK travel may be required to attend team/customer meetings and training activities.
- Clearance requirements: British national and citizen (no dual nationality). Able to obtain Security Clearance (SC), UK Eyes Only.
Looking for Flexibility? At Northrop Grumman UK we have hybrid working arrangements. Talk to us at the application stage about what may be possible.
Northrop Grumman is committed to equality and diversity in our workplace. Northrop Grumman provides equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants without regard to an individual's protected status, including race/ethnic origin, color, nationality, national origin, ancestry, sex/gender, gender identity/expression, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, marriage/civil partnership, pregnancy/maternity, religion or belief, creed, age, disability, genetic information, or any other protected status or characteristic.