At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation's history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
We are seeking a Senior Mechanical Engineer to support all the Mechanical Design, Finite Element Analysis (FEA), Thermal Analysis (CFD), attend meetings with the Customer, sign off the Mechanical Drawings, liaise with manufacturers and test houses. The work is primarily involved with Integrated Platform Management Systems (IPMS) for Naval Ships & Submarines for the UK MOD Programmes currently being worked on.
You will also be expected to support the Mechanical Design Team on Military Programme Project using Creo Elements (3D CAD) in the development of Machinery Automation Products and Integrated Platform Management Systems (IPMS) for use in the Defence Marine Industry.
In board terms the responsibility of the Senior Mechanical Engineer is to produce various technical documentation to support PDR/CDR for DDQ and drawing/BOM data packs to enable manufacture and delivery of products and equipment, which comply with the requirements of authorising signatories. Organisation of all CAD Office aspects of this work comes within the scope at this level.
- To provide Mechanical/Electro Mechanical Design Support to UK MOD IPMS Programmes.
- To look after a small team of CAD Designers and assist them in the design process.
- To provide CAD Design/Detailing support when needed as a secondary responsibility.
- To ensure the standard of design is maintained through out the project duration.
- To report progress being made on allocated work to Project Managers
- To assist in providing Development Estimates to Project Managers
- To assist in the training of younger members of the team to benefit the department
- To manage the performance and development of all staff who report in (applicable where job holder has line management responsibilities)
- To be aware of and comply with Company Standards of Conduct and all relevant statutory requirements
- To carry out any other reasonable management request
- Include number of reports if any, budget accountability, KPI’s etc
- Decision making authority: Able to sign off drawings/BOM’s for Mechanical Design approved.
- Budgets: Assist in providing a yearly budget to the Chief Mechanical Engineer for submission to Engineering Director.
- Degree (BSc) in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent experience
- Understands BS8888 and Geometrical Tolerancing
- Good understanding of the Design Process
- Competent to check and sign off drawings, documents and BOM’s
- To author Technical Documentation to meet Customer requirements
- Understands Manufacturing processes and techniques
- Knowledge of how MOD Programmes are run and level of documentation required
- Understand test methods for Shock, Vibration, Ingress, Environmental (Hot, Cold & Humidity), EMC
- Proficient in Creo 3.0 and PDM Link 11.0
- Working Knowledge of Creo Simulate (FEA) and AutoDesk Simulation (CFD)
- Knowledge of Autodesk Inventor
- Clearance requirements: Post-holder must hold and maintain UK Government clearances where require
- Looking for flexibility? At Northrop Grumman UK we have hybrid working arrangements. Talk to us at the application stage about what may be possible.
Northrop Grumman is committed to equality and diversity in our workplace. Northrop Grumman provides equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants without regard to an individual's protected status, including race/ethnic origin, color, nationality, national origin, ancestry, sex/gender, gender identity/expression, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, marriage/civil partnership, pregnancy/maternity, religion or belief, creed, age, disability, genetic information, or any other protected status or characteristic.