Are you passionate about working with cutting edge technology and leading the design and engineering on projects delivering solutions that are central to our customer’s missions? Join BAE Systems as a Solution Architect.
We are recruiting for additional Solution Architects to join new agile development teams working for a Central Government customer. Due to Covid-19, these roles will initially be undertaken from home, but once lockdown is lifted, it is expected that there will be some regular travel to client site in London.
As a Solution Architect you’ll be working to deliver the solution design and define the engineering methods of our client's core mission applications, shaping innovative solutions to problems, underpinned by robust delivery and engineering methods to deliver capabilities that are not only essential to their business, but they’ll love to use. You’ll never get bored, with no two projects being the same, using your experience to assure our deliveries and an enduring success.
You’ll enjoy working as part of a team, typically being the most senior technical person on a project working with other architects, engineers and business analysts to get the best out of the team, allowing everyone to contribute their skillsets. Excellent communication skills are essential, both internally within your project, as well as externally to senior customer stakeholders to facilitate decision making and co-ordinate design activities with related teams.
Your experience will cover software design, infrastructure, delivery methods and engineering approaches, although you won’t be expected to be an expert in them all. Knowing enough to make informed decisions on the best approach to follow is expected, as well as recognising when to use Waterfall vs Agile, PaaS vs IaaS or proof of concepts vs proven approaches. You’ll be empowered to make decisions but will be part of a community of solution architects and engineers to bounce ideas off of and be supported.
Not only will your team be directly making a huge impact upon the systems you work on, you’ll be doing it for an organisation who makes a huge impact to the security of the UK.
Experience in most of the following:
- Shaping and driving solution thinking for complex bids and delivery engagements (contracts worth £million+, and overall team sizes of more than 50)
- Shaping solution designs following a structured methodology as appropriate to the project
- Defining system requirements for a software solution to support a scalable and resilient application
- Overseeing the implementation of the design in collaboration with other team members such as Application, Data and Security Architects
- Ensuring the design meets key functional and in particular non-functional requirements, enabling through life scenarios of the solution to be satisfied
- Working with customer technical authorities to ensure that they have a clear understanding of architecture and design proposals at an appropriate level
- Working with Engineering teams to promote good practice in engineering methods, e.g. development, automation and testing
- Retaining overall ownership of the solution through delivery and transition into operation
- Directing estimation efforts to develop an understanding of potential solution costs and delivery timescales
Application of the above in the following domains is desirable:
- Big Data solutions
- Web Scale applications for the Cloud
- Open Source and COTS integration
- Integration patterns and architectures
- Workflow systems
Life at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence
We are embracing Hybrid Working. This means you and your colleagues may be working in different locations, such as from home, another BAE Systems office or client site, some or all of the time, and work might be going on at different times of the day. By embracing technology, we can interact, collaborate and create together, even when we’re working remotely from one another. Hybrid Working allows for increased flexibility in when and where we work, helping us to balance our work and personal life more effectively, and enhance wellbeing.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Applied Intelligence. We are proud to have an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds – the best and brightest minds – can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential.
About BAE Systems Applied Intelligence
We use our intelligence-led insights to help defend Governments, Nations and Societies from cyber-attacks and financial crime. Our customers depend on our evolving capabilities to help them safely grow their organisations. Our unprecedented access to threat intelligence, world-leading analysts and market-leading technology means we can help them to adapt, evolve and stay ahead of the criminals.
Division overview: Government
At BAE Systems Applied Intelligence, we pride ourselves in being a leader in the cyber defence industry, and Government contracts are an area we have many decades of experience in. Our Government business unit houses four of our critical client groups: UK National Security, Global National Security, defence and central government. Government and key infrastructure networks are critical targets to defend as the effects of these networks being breached can be devastating.
As a member of the Government business unit, you will defend the connected world and ensure the protection of nations. We all have a role to play in defending our clients, and this is yours.