At BAE Systems Applied Intelligence we develop world-class radio and data systems. We are launching a major new space programme, marrying our existing capabilities with new space technology.
We need skilled, enthusiastic and motivated people at all experience levels from graduate to CTO to deliver these exciting new capabilities. There are opportunities in all relevant engineering and non-engineering disciplines, both for those with space industry experience and those without.
Many roles come with opportunities for remote / hybrid working, working in our offices in Guildford and Great Baddow only when required.
We will provide you with personal development, CPD including support towards professional recognition, industry-leading benefits, and the opportunity to apply cutting-edge technology to interesting problems with the support of our highly-skilled engineering community.
Come and join us for this exciting opportunity to shape and deliver world-class space technologies.
What you will be doing (role duties and responsibilities)
BAE Systems Applied Intelligence Laboratories is seeking an executive researcher to join our rapidly expanding Data Research group. You should have existing skills in Artificial Intelligence or neural net based machine learning applied to the computer vision domain. You will also need to be a proficient programmer, particularly in Python, with extensive experience in the use of libraries and toolboxes to support efficient development. You will lead a wide range of computer vision research topics for customers across the space, defence, security and commercial sectors, including for internal BAE Systems customers. You will also have the opportunity to maintain your already strong links with academic partners and to grow and lead technical research areas of interest to you.
The Data Research group has a diverse range of teams working in: reinforcement learning, NLP, knowledge graphs and graph based neural nets, AI for RF and EW, sonar and acoustics and you will have the opportunity to work with these colleagues in multi-disciplinary teams.
Candidates will mix technical challenges with customer-facing and project support tasks. In addition to a solid academic background and excellent written and verbal communication skills, we are particularly interested in candidates with experience in the application of deep learning techniques for image and video synthesis, analytics and forensics, or those who have expertise in the application of Deep Learning to satellite data.
- Lead technical delivery of computer vision projects
- Prepare and deliver technical reports, technical proposals and supporting material
- Lead novel research in given topic areas, often in partnership with leading UK Universities
- Develop prototypes and proof of concept demonstrators
- Take ownership of tasks in projects and deliver to challenging standards
- Work effectively both on self-directed projects and when leading project teams
- Effectively present results to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Undertake mentoring of junior staff in Computer Vision research
What we are looking for (skills and experience)
We are looking for ambitious, high-calibre people with the following characteristics:
- Several years of expertise in the application of deep learning to computer vision and image analysis problems, ideally in Defence or Security. You will probably have a PhD or equivalent in a relevant discipline, along with over 10 years appropriate experience
- Evidence of publication in computer vision journals and conferences
- Experience with machine and deep learning frameworks: TensorFlow, Pytorch, scikit-learn, etc.
- Experience in the application of the following to image and video data:
- deep learning
- generative adversarial networks and other approaches for image synthesis
- digital forensics and anti-forensics
- Experience in working with data from more exotic imaging sensors (e.g. X-ray, SAR, infra-red, hyperspectral)
- Experience with space based image data
- Experience in software development for proof of concept in Python, with additional experience in MATLAB, R and Java
Life at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence
We are embracing Hybrid Working. This means you and your colleagues may be working in different locations, such as from home, another BAE Systems office or client site, some or all of the time, and work might be going on at different times of the day. By embracing technology, we can interact, collaborate and create together, even when we’re working remotely from one another. Hybrid Working allows for increased flexibility in when and where we work, helping us to balance our work and personal life more effectively, and enhance wellbeing.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Applied Intelligence. We are proud to have an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds – the best and brightest minds – can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential.
About BAE Systems Applied Intelligence
We use our intelligence-led insights to help defend Governments, Nations and Societies from cyber-attacks and financial crime. Our customers depend on our evolving capabilities to help them safely grow their organisations. Our unprecedented access to threat intelligence, world-leading analysts and market-leading technology means we can help them to adapt, evolve and stay ahead of the criminals.