Shape, mobilise, plan and lead a project, programme or portfolio of projects to deliver internal business and external customer objectives.
Ongoing management of a project, programme or portfolio to contract (external or internal) ensuring appropriate capability in place to maximise team performance, delivering to the key project, programme, portfolio measures such as schedule, quality, scope, financials and client satisfaction, while following the internal BAE delivery assurance processes (and if appropriate external assurance processes).
Common Role Accountabilities
- Mobilise and build required capability including the best available resources on contract award, maintaining this approach throughout project execution, providing leadership to project and programme based staff, with management of suppliers, subcontractors and associates where required.
- Build and maintain relationships with key stakeholders (external and internal customers) and actively manages the customer’s expectations through appropriate communications, reporting, assurance and governance.
- Shaping and planning of the project, programme or portfolio including the overall schedule and governance with selection and/or application of appropriate methodologies, processes and tools; refining and enhancing the project, programme or portfolio schedule, resources, estimates and costs to complete and the execution against an agreed schedule, milestones and cost baseline.
- Pro-active management of internal and external key project, programme or portfolio controls including (but not limited to) RAID, financials (including margin, forecast costs to complete, technical and management contingency, revenue and capital cost), quality, scope and schedule performance, ensuring delivery of the agreed scope against the agreed contract, acceptance criteria, SLAs and change requests.
- Continued refinement and enhancement of the project, programme or portfolio schedule, resources, estimates and costs to complete and the execution against an agreed schedule and cost baseline.
- Ensure that effective internal delivery governance (i.e. PRBs/EPRBs), delivery assurance (i.e. LCM) and standard reporting processes (i.e. Delivery Reporting Tool, Project Forecast) are adhered to.
- Support to the sales and account management team in renewals, extensions and business development cross-selling opportunities.
- Close down of the project, programme or portfolio at the end of an engagement, including personal performance reviews, project lessons learned and harvesting of reusable collateral (i.e. improved propositions, updated processes, reusable modules).
Generally, the individual should demonstrate the required competencies
- Typically takes responsibility for projects, programmes or portfolios up to Medium level assurance.
- Takes full responsibility for the definition, documentation and satisfactory completion of medium complexity projects, programmes or portfolios, e.g. up to 12 months in duration, with direct business impact, up to a medium sized team and firm deadlines.
- Provides effective leadership to the delivery team and suppliers, and takes appropriate action where team performance deviates from agreed tolerances.
- Acts as a primary point of contact for the client and has day to day accountability for the services and solution being provided.
- Contributes towards business winning activities for new or extended work, within or related to the scope of the project, programme or portfolio.
- Coaches and provides guidance to one or more junior PMs throughout the project lifecycle, managing their performance and supporting their development.
Specific Role Attributes
This specific role will involve leading highly technical engineering teams working on wireless and electronic technologies, therefore successful applicants will need to be able to blend the general project management skills detailed above with a foundation level of engineering background in order to be able to understand enough about the project they are leading and communicate effectively with the engineering team.
About BAE Systems Applied Intelligence
We use our intelligence-led insights to help defend Governments, Nations and Societies from cyber-attacks and financial crime. Our customers depend on our evolving capabilities to help them safely grow their organisations. Our unprecedented access to threat intelligence, world-leading analysts and market-leading technology means we can help them to adapt, evolve and stay ahead of the criminals.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Applied Intelligence. We are proud to have an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds – the best and brightest minds – can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential. We also welcome discussions about flexible working.