The Defence and Space Business Unit in BAE Systems Applied Intelligence delivers mission focused solutions in cyber & electronic warfare, digital transformation and special communications to clients across Land, Sea, Air, Space and Cyber.
We are looking for an experienced Network Engineer to be part of the client-side technical team responsible for the design, development, documentation, building and validation of the core physical and virtual networking components which form the backbone of a complex multi-tenanted IT Platform that hosts services up to UK SECRET.
The detailed responsibilities of the team include:
• The design, development, building and validation of all networking components which form part of the Platform.
• Production and review of all levels of design artefacts.
• Supporting wider system testing activities.
• Working with Service Management to resolve issues.
Essential skills, qualifications, and experience
• Demonstrable experience of at least 3 years within the industry with detailed knowledge and understanding, of the design, implementation, and troubleshooting of the following:
o Hierarchical IP Subnetting.
o Routing protocols, internal and external, OSPF, and BGP.
o Advanced knowledge of routers, switches and firewalls.
o Core network technologies and infrastructure:
▪ Cisco Nexus
▪ Cisco IOS XE
▪ Leaf and Spine network architecture
▪ VXLAN Overlay networks
▪ Dual Cloud Dual Hub DMVPN Solutions
▪ Firewall IPS/IDS
▪ AAA Management Platform e.g. ISE
o TRL Crypto
▪ Configuration of devices and management of keymat
o All aspects of QOS (Traffic Shaping / Policing / Scheduling / Congestion Management and Avoidance).
• At least one of the following professional certifications that have been obtained within the last five years:
o Networking certification – at least CCNP (Cisco Certified Network Professional) or similar.
o Virtualisation certification - VMware VCP-NV (VMware vCenter Certified Professional – Network Virtualisation)
• Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
• Strong critical thinking and analytical skills to solve problems and propose new ideas.
• Competency in MS Office Suite.
Desirable skills, qualifications, and experience
• Experience of:
o Working within the public sector, preferably Defence, and ideally with Defence Digital.
o Defence networks and gateways.
o Delivering accredited secure solutions within the UK Public Sector.
o Delivering in Agile (SAFE4) and Waterfall projects.
o Large Virtualisation infrastructure environments that operate at scale.
• Knowledge of the Atlassian toolset (JIRA and Confluence) to record and document work.
• A Computer Science university-based education at Bachelors or Masters level.
• Experience in developing secure architecture within a multi-tenanted environment.
• Chartered Engineer Status.
A security clearance is required for this role. Some travel will be required to client site in Corsham (no more than 3 days/week) as well as occasional travel to Portsmouth or other MoD sites.
Life at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence
We are embracing Hybrid Working. This means you and your colleagues may be working in different locations, such as from home, another BAE Systems office or client site, some or all of the time, and work might be going on at different times of the day. By embracing technology, we can interact, collaborate and create together, even when we’re working remotely from one another. Hybrid Working allows for increased flexibility in when and where we work, helping us to balance our work and personal life more effectively, and enhance wellbeing.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Applied Intelligence. We are proud to have an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds – the best and brightest minds – can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential.
About BAE Systems Applied Intelligence
We use our intelligence-led insights to help defend Governments, Nations and Societies from cyber-attacks and financial crime. Our customers depend on our evolving capabilities to help them safely grow their organisations. Our unprecedented access to threat intelligence, world-leading analysts and market-leading technology means we can help them to adapt, evolve and stay ahead of the criminals.