BRE operates on annual revenues of £50m, secured through the provision of a complete range of advisory, testing, certification, commissioned research, digital products and training services, covering all aspects of the built environment and associated industries. Globally active, with approximately 550 employees, it has a physical presence in the UK, the Republic of Ireland and China with Innovation Parks (where we showcase the outputs of our innovative industry and academic collaborations) in the UK and China.
The Fire detection and electronic testing department is a long-established department within the BRE assurance division. It is renowned and respected for its fire detection and alarm system knowledge, research, standard development, testing and certification. It operates under the LPCB quality mark which is recognised internationally in the fire and security field and are notified under the UKCA mark.
We have an opening for a proactive individual with proven experience in the electronic field with good knowledge of software to join our Technical team who are responsible for development of standards, test equipment, automation of test equipment, maintenance of equipment, UKAS accreditation to our testing and certification schemes, verification of testing reports and provide technical support to the Fire detection staff.
Job Family Certification & Testing
Job Family Level 3
The value this role will add:
The Senior Electronics Engineer will be responsible for supporting the Technical Director to drive significant improvements across the department, focused on ensuring robust technical quality and integrity of all aspects of testing conducted. They will be involved in the scoping, design and implementation of new technologies to help drive efficiencies in addition to widening the service capabilities offered to clients. They will also support the technical verification of projects completed ensuring that the required project criteria have been met.
- Delivering completed development projects within budget and timescale
- Maintenance of test equipment
- Technical support to the testing team
- Training of testing staff
What experience and skills does the role need?
- Experience in managing technical development projects ensuring delivery/budget timescales are met
- Strong electronics and mechanical background with good knowledge of software principles
- Understanding of automation technologies available and previous experience of implementation
- Ability to design, build and maintain electro-mechanical testing equipment
- Strong ability to understand/ interpret technical requirements specified in product standards
- Experienced in managing external supplier relationships ensuring agreed SLAs are adhered to
- Ability to write technical reports (and review colleagues for technical integrity)
- Ability to write and review technical quality procedures/ work instructions
- Good communication skills and experience in delivering training
- Experience working in accredited environment such as UKAS
- Experience within Fire and Security System component research and development
- Lean methodology background with experience having implemented improvement projects
- Experience within the product testing and certification industry
We’re building a diverse and talented team at BRE because we know that different perspectives, experiences and skills will help us be more innovative and mean that we can help deliver effective solutions for our customers.
This is a non-exhaustive summary of your role and is non-contractual. In addition to the above, you may be required to undertake additional duties in order to properly execute your role. This job description is subject to variation from time to time in order to meet the changing needs and requirements of our industry, as well as customer and business demands.
The experience requirements above are provided for guidance purposes, however we would welcome applications from candidates with more or less relevant experience who can demonstrate their suitability for the role.
Whilst this advert may state a specific location or hours, we encourage flexibility and are happy to have a conversation on how this role could be fulfilled in a different way.
Please also note that should we receive a large number of applications for the role, we may close the advert sooner than the specified closing date, so please do apply at your earliest convenience to avoid disappointment.