At BAE Systems Applied Intelligence we produce state-of-the-art electronic products which are critical for the safety of our society and the protection of industry in the UK and across the globe. A rigorous manufacturing and support framework underpins these products, ensuring that deliveries to our customers are of consistently high quality, and ensuring our products are resilient throughout their service life.
As an Engineering Manager working in our Manufacturing Engineering team you will be responsible for all the engineering aspects associated with the assembly and test of complex electronics products. You will develop and apply both management and technical skills, working closely with development teams and reporting to senior stakeholders. You will work across all stages of the product lifecycle, including productionisation, production, support, and through-life management. By developing a deep technical understanding of our systems and applying digital, analog, RF and mechanical engineering principles, you will identify improvements to overcome technical issues quickly, and implement solutions to ensure the same issues don’t reoccur.
Being surrounded by our highly-skilled engineering and management community, you will be mentored and receive all the training you require to perform your role successfully – either on the job or via formal training courses. You will have the opportunity to gain professional registration, and will be given real responsibility from day one.
What you’ll be doing:
- Managing the engineering aspects of a production build and tracking its maturity through issue management, yield and reviews.
- Integrating, testing and supporting electronic products.
- Configuration management of our products.
- Undertaking fault diagnosis and resolution.
- Designing and implementing test systems and processes, including programming and deploying complex ATE.
- Ensuring compliance with regulatory requirements, often involving 3rd party compliance testing.
- Managing obsolescence of components used in our designs.
- Managing a range of electronic products from the earliest standalone prototype systems through to mature products that are in widespread operation with our customers.
- Ensuring our products are safe to produce and safe to use.
- Producing and presenting internal and customer deliverable documentation and reports.
- Proactively identifying and recommending opportunities for process improvement.
- Understanding the functionality of electronic products.
- Reporting engineering status to senior stakeholders.
What we’re looking for:
Desirable skills and experience
- A degree-level qualification in an engineering or science discipline.
- Familiarity with electronic components and their in-circuit functionality.
- Working in a live production and/or support environment, delivering against tight timescales and being adaptable to changing requirements.
- Documentation of production procedures.
- Operation of electronic test equipment (oscilloscopes, spectrum analysers, network analysers, function generators, etc.).
- Fundamental principles of software development.
- Fundamental principles of mechanical design.
- Linux operating environment and scripting.
- Awareness of legislative compliance (e.g. CE marking).
Life at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence
We are embracing Hybrid Working. This means you and your colleagues may be working in different locations, such as from home, another BAE Systems office or client site, some or all of the time, and work might be going on at different times of the day. By embracing technology, we can interact, collaborate and create together, even when we’re working remotely from one another. Hybrid Working allows for increased flexibility in when and where we work, helping us to balance our work and personal life more effectively, and enhance wellbeing.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Applied Intelligence. We are proud to have an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds – the best and brightest minds – can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential.
About BAE Systems Applied Intelligence
We use our intelligence-led insights to help defend Governments, Nations and Societies from cyber-attacks and financial crime. Our customers depend on our evolving capabilities to help them safely grow their organisations. Our unprecedented access to threat intelligence, world-leading analysts and market-leading technology means we can help them to adapt, evolve and stay ahead of the criminals.
Division overview: Government
At BAE Systems Applied Intelligence, we pride ourselves in being a leader in the cyber defence industry, and Government contracts are an area we have many decades of experience in. Our Government business unit houses four of our critical client groups: UK National Security, Global National Security, defence and central government. Government and key infrastructure networks are critical targets to defend as the effects of these networks being breached can be devastating.
As a member of the Government business unit, you will defend the connected world and ensure the protection of nations. We all have a role to play in defending our clients, and this is yours.