The Applied Intelligence division of BAE Systems delivers solutions which protect and enhance the connected world. Everything we do creates a safer future.
We want to solve problems for our customers and by bringing together great minds, we can work together to make the world a safer place.
The Applied Intelligence business of BAE Systems delivers solutions which help to protect and enhance the connected world. Our solutions combine large scale data exploitation, ‘intelligencegrade’ security and complex services and solutions integration. We operate in four key domains of expertise: Cyber Security, Financial Crime, Communications Intelligence and Digital Transformation. Today, we have staff across the UK and Europe, the Americas, Asia Pacific and the Middle East.
Our people apply intelligence to protect and enhance national and organisational assets so that they can grow and prosper – from improving the health and efficiency of leading corporations to protecting critical infrastructures, safeguarding vulnerable people and catching criminals. Together, we make the world a safer place. Make everyday matter.
About The Team:
A successful candidate for this role will work in Applied Intelligence’s Singapore Hub, with a focus on delivering and support complex systems to our customers.
The Role - System Consultant (Production Support):
System Consultant (Production Support) is a versatile System Engineer in the local Engineering Team. They are characterized by strong IT fundamentals and adapt in supporting diverse Infrastructure and Applications technologies used in the system we built. Besides keeping customer’s mission critical system reliable and maintainable, they are expected to lead the juniors by example. In this role, the selected candidate will support highly complex systems, working with very large dataset, solving hard engineering problems at scale to help our customers defend against threats in the connected world.
A successful System Consultant (Production Support) is highly technical, has a curious mind about technology, proclivity to seek improvement and bold to make feasible recommendations or carry out controlled technical implementation. Ideally someone experienced in customer handling and production system support with a good dose of engineering discipline (e.g. documenting best practices or knowledge). This is an extremely hands-on role and candidates should possess relentless drive in gaining extensive knowledge on both BAE and 3rd party products. We want to invest in talent to grow with the company for the long term.
- Regular interaction with customers with a key focus on ensuring success for our customers
- Escalation contact and proactive handling of service incidents
- Create high-quality technical documentation, for example Implementation Plans and Incident Reports
- Finding new and better solutions, challenge existing solutions in a professional and constructive manner
- Share experiences between colleagues aiming on perfecting best practices
- Working with software engineers to deploy/modify code and software packages regularly
- Tuning, troubleshooting and scaling systems that runs Very Large Databases (VLDB) or Big Data Applications – must have curiosity and interest with the internal workings of a complex system.
- Together with the larger Engineering Team, you will share an on-call rotation
- To support out of hours work especially for Severity 1 incidents.
Mandatory Traits and Skillsets
- Analytical mind and keen sense of software logic
- Ability to substitute automation for manual work/procedures
- Effective communicator to engage developers/internal stakeholders and customers.
- Good understanding of OSI & TCP/IP (Network analysis with Wireshark)
- Good experience in Network Switching and Routing Technologies
- Strong ability in Microsoft Windows Servers or Linux administration preferably with Red-hat (Linux is priority)
- Working experience in operational responsibilities like System Monitoring, Maintenance, Resource Management, Capacity Planning, Change Management and Performance Tuning for mission critical systems.
- Must adapt to working in high pressure environment and handle multiple priorities.
Advantageous Skillsets OR Potential Growth Opportunities:
- Working experience in
- Supporting complex, scalable Big Data Systems and VLDBs.
- Supporting industry standard databases like Oracle and Microsoft SQL Server
- Supporting Microsoft technologies like Active Directory and GPO
- Supporting network equipment from Cisco and Arista
- Big Data framework like Hadoop and related technologies like MESOS, YARN
- Messaging systems like Kafka, ActiveMQ
- Deployment tools like Ansible and Puppet
- Database query languages with T-SQL or PL/SQL
- At least one of the high level languages like PowerShell, Python
- ITIL Framework
- Application concepts in data structures and schema
- Relational databases concepts
- Search engines and NoSQL like ElasticSearch, Cassandra, MongoDB, HBase
- Processing frameworks like MapReduce, Spark
About BAE Systems Applied Intelligence:
We help nations, governments and businesses around the world defend themselves against cyber crime, reduce their risk in the connected world, comply with regulation, and transform their operations. We do this using our unique set of solutions, systems, experience and processes.
Our success is down to our people. The changing nature of our business means that we’re constantly looking for the brightest talent to help us fulfil our ambitions. As an experienced professional, we’ll entrust you with responsibility; this means that you’ll have client contact, variety and support from day one.
We'll encourage and support you to develop your skills and reward you as you grow. Whatever your area of expertise, you'll be much more than just a job title; you'll be an integral part of the business where your individual contribution makes a difference every day. Great minds deserve great rewards, so we also offer a very competitive salary and benefits package.
Diversity and Inclusion:
As a company committed to inclusion, we welcome applicants from all backgrounds and on a full or part-time basis. Diverse perspectives and innovative thinking are fundamental to our continued success. As an international organisation we strongly support flexible working conditions to accommodate for working in different time zones, cultures, patterns and client facing environments. We encourage all our staff to think about how they and their teams can work flexibly to get the best balance and results for our organisation and every individual.
Division Overview: Software Engineering
Software Engineering exists to satisfy the Applied Intelligence strategy to grow in the international large-scale security market by leveraging government relationships and differentiated propositions. Our mission is to support those who defend nations, organisations and citizens from physical and cyber threats. As well as our traditional deep expertise in communications intelligence for governments and telecommunications companies, we help our customers collect, store, analyse, and extract intelligence from open source information and to fuse multiple data sources into insightful intelligence.
We also help our clients monitor cyber activity to identify new threats and threat actors within the cyber domain, locally and nationally, and build secure communications infrastructure. We are the home for advanced electronic capability within Applied Intelligence and solve our client’s requirements with a mix of advanced software and hardware solutions combined with associated services offerings.