At BAE Systems Applied Intelligence we develop world-class radio and data systems. We are launching a major new space programme, marrying our existing capabilities with new space technology.
We need skilled, enthusiastic and motivated people at all experience levels from graduate to CTO to deliver these exciting new capabilities. There are opportunities in all relevant engineering and non-engineering disciplines, both for those with space industry experience and those without.
Many roles come with opportunities for remote / hybrid working, working in our offices in Guildford and Great Baddow only when required.
We will provide you with personal development, CPD including support towards professional recognition, industry-leading benefits, and the opportunity to apply cutting-edge technology to interesting problems with the support of our highly-skilled engineering community.
Come and join us for this exciting opportunity to shape and deliver world-class space technologies.
What you will be doing (role duties and responsibilities)
You will be responsible for the design of a wide range of different radio systems required for payload and ground station hardware covering bands from VHF through to millimetre wave. You will focus on the design of the radio hardware, so RF design and antenna design expertise is essential. You will also need a good understanding of radio communications, waveform design and digital signal processing.
By applying your expert technical knowledge and experience, engaging with customers and internal stakeholders, you will be able to derive detailed technical requirements for radio systems from high level systems requirements and use cases, even if these are not well defined. You will be able to design state-of-the-art systems taking advantage of latest industry components and techniques. You will be able to make use of other technical specialists and enable them to contribute to the design process. Recognised as the expert and point of contact for radio and communications systems, you will provide expertise and support to a wider engineering team to implement and deliver your designs.
What we are looking for (skills and experience)
We are looking for ambitious, high-calibre people with some or all of the following characteristics:
- Highly motivated with a strong academic background typically in Engineering or Physics.
- Expertise in RF design and relevant tools (eg Matlab, CST, ADS, Spice etc)
- Expertise in antenna design
- A keen interest in the space sector and awareness of latest industry developments
- Understanding of the principles of PCB circuit design and layout
- Proven record of set-to-work and verification of complex hardware, sometimes under demanding project timescales; able to fault find and debug problems in a logical and thorough manner.
- Competent in the use of laboratory measurement equipment (eg oscilloscopes, spectrum analysers, vector network analysers etc).
- Experience of designing products for real world use outside a lab. Space experience desirable but not essential.
- Experience of designing products for environmental and compliance testing and knowledge of the relevant standards.
- Comfortable working on multiple projects at the same time and in a dynamic environment where deadlines and priorities are changeable.
- Experience of working within multi-disciplinary development teams in a project-based environment.
- Good inter-personal skills; able to work well in a dynamic, collaborative team.
Life at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence
We are embracing Hybrid Working. This means you and your colleagues may be working in different locations, such as from home, another BAE Systems office or client site, some or all of the time, and work might be going on at different times of the day. By embracing technology, we can interact, collaborate and create together, even when we’re working remotely from one another. Hybrid Working allows for increased flexibility in when and where we work, helping us to balance our work and personal life more effectively, and enhance wellbeing.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Applied Intelligence. We are proud to have an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds – the best and brightest minds – can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential.
About BAE Systems Applied Intelligence
We use our intelligence-led insights to help defend Governments, Nations and Societies from cyber-attacks and financial crime. Our customers depend on our evolving capabilities to help them safely grow their organisations. Our unprecedented access to threat intelligence, world-leading analysts and market-leading technology means we can help them to adapt, evolve and stay ahead of the criminals.
Division overview: Capabilities
At BAE Systems Applied Intelligence, we pride ourselves in being a leader in the cyber defence industry, and Capabilities is the engine that keeps the business moving forward. It is the largest area of Applied Intelligence, containing our Engineering, Consulting and Project Management teams that design and implement the defence solutions and digital transformation projects that make us a globally recognised brand in both the public and private sector.
As a member of the Capabilities team, you will be creating and managing the solutions that earn us our place in an ever changing digital world. We all have a role to play in defending our clients, and this is yours.