This is an exciting opportunity to join our growing business as a Support Engineer working on infrastructure platforms underpinning our Communications Intelligence, Mass data stores and analysis solutions that we deliver for International Government customers. We are looking for an enthusiastic and intelligent engineer to join our team to support our growing number of diverse projects.
This role will involve supporting a diverse set of International customers, based from BAE Systems offices in Guildford or Gloucester. The candidate will be required to travel occasionally between the BAE Systems offices for collaboration and training purposes. The role will also require travel to various countries to carry out maintenance, updates and installations, once COVID-19 restrictions allow. These visits can be alone, so the ability to think logically, act autonomously, troubleshoot and communicate effectively with Customers to manage stakeholder expectations are key attributes.
The successful candidate will be trained to provide remote support for customer as part of a wider support team. The candidate will liaise with our 3rd and 4th line product support teams, for resolution of complex incidents, patches and to identify opportunities for improvement of our products through future releases.
The candidate will have the opportunity develop their career within the across our solution portfolio, gaining experience of working on systems for secure UK and International customers, and in time progress to working on implementation and commissioning of solutions.
What you could be doing for us:
- Responsible for third level technical support for our customers.
- Investigation and diagnosis of technical issues raised by customers on their live deployments.
- Liaise with customers to inform of progress, request information, manage expectations and close out issues in a timely manner.
- Log, track and update tickets in our ITSM.
- Creation of procedures for customer implementations where the customer will run the procedure but be supported remotely.
- Be a significant contributor to our knowledge base/FAQ.
- Maintain and manage/support test environments for problem replication.
- Work with Product Engineering and Project teams on customer issues.
- Work closely with key customers to provide a premium level of support and ensure a high level of customer satisfaction.
- Provide feedback on solutions and make suggestions for improvement.
- Prepare test cases, release notes, and test releases.
- Contribute ideas toward process improvements to improve the customer experience.
- Able to cover 1 week in 4 for OOHs on call rota.
What background are we looking for?
- Experience working in a technical support or similar environment (Level 3 support).
- Good understanding of customer service.
- Available to travel to various International destinations frequently.
- Infrastructure experience, including Data Storage solutions and Windows Server.
- CCNA or Networking experience.
- Hold current UK SC clearance
- Ability to achieve UKIC DV.
- Ability to juggle conflicting priorities and demands on time.
- Ability to be able to manage customer expectations.
- Be able to self-manage and work autonomously.
- Excellent communication skills in English (oral and written).
- Strong analytical skills and experience in resolving challenging technical support issues.
- Strong organizational skills.
- ITIL Foundation.
- Good understanding of different Global Cultures.
- Good understanding of cyber security principles.
- Network Firewall Principles.
- Web Application Servers (e.g. one of Jetty, Apache).
- Database (Oracle).
- Hypervisor Technologies (e.g. VMWare).
- Fair understanding of IT hardware principles.
Future Career Progression Opportunities
Beyond your first project assignment, there are opportunities to work with a range of products, solutions and customers. It will be expected that the candidate be willing to travel to other customer sites to work on installation projects, to provide support and maintenance.
You will be assigned a Career Manager to assist you in your development and training within the business. This role provides an excellent opportunity to experience a wide range of projects and technologies, with customer-facing involvement, allowing you to enhance your skills and knowledge to become a future engineering lead within the business.
There are opportunities to follow career paths in Engineering, Technical Consulting, or Service Delivery.
- Possible Future Roles include: Support Specialist, Infrastructure Engineer, Systems Engineer, Solution Architect, Service Delivery Manager, or Technical Consultant.
- Become a recognised subject matter expert (SME) in Cross-Domain Solutions and actively participate in client engagements
How we will support you:
- Work-life balance is important; you’ll get 25 days holiday a year and, via our flexible benefits package the option to buy/sell and carry over from the year before
- Our flexible benefits package includes; private medical and dental insurance, a competitive pension scheme, cycle to work scheme, taste cards and more
- You’ll have a dedicated Career Manager to help you develop your career and guide you on your journey through BAE
- Don’t know a particular technology? Your learning and development is key to your future career
- You’ll be part of our bonus scheme
- You are welcome to join any/all of our Diversity and Support groups. These groups cover everything from gender diversity to mental health and wellbeing.
About BAE Systems Applied Intelligence:
We help nations, governments and businesses around the world defend themselves against cyber-crime, reduce their risk in the connected world, comply with regulation, and transform their operations. We do this using our unique set of solutions, systems, experience and processes.
Our success is down to our people. The changing nature of our business means that we’re constantly looking for the brightest talent to help us fulfil our ambitions. As an experienced professional, we’ll entrust you with responsibility; this means that you’ll have client contact, variety and support from day one.
We'll encourage and support you to develop your skills and reward you as you grow. Whatever your area of expertise, you'll be much more than just a job title; you'll be an integral part of the business where your individual contribution makes a difference every day. Great minds deserve great rewards, so we also offer a very competitive salary and benefits package.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Applied Intelligence. Staying competitive in today’s global marketplace requires an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds – the best and brightest minds – can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential. We also welcome discussions about flexible working.
Only those with the permanent and unrestricted right to live and work in the UK will be considered for a position within BAE Systems Applied Intelligence. Due to the nature of our work, successful candidates for this role will be required to go through Government SC clearance prior to starting with us. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/security-vetting-and-clearance
Life at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence
We are embracing Hybrid Working. This means you and your colleagues may be working in different locations, such as from home, another BAE Systems office or client site, some or all of the time, and work might be going on at different times of the day. By embracing technology, we can interact, collaborate and create together, even when we’re working remotely from one another. Hybrid Working allows for increased flexibility in when and where we work, helping us to balance our work and personal life more effectively, and enhance wellbeing.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Applied Intelligence. We are proud to have an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds – the best and brightest minds – can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential.
About BAE Systems Applied Intelligence
We use our intelligence-led insights to help defend Governments, Nations and Societies from cyber-attacks and financial crime. Our customers depend on our evolving capabilities to help them safely grow their organisations. Our unprecedented access to threat intelligence, world-leading analysts and market-leading technology means we can help them to adapt, evolve and stay ahead of the criminals.
Division overview: Government
At BAE Systems Applied Intelligence, we pride ourselves in being a leader in the cyber defence industry, and Government contracts are an area we have many decades of experience in. Our Government business unit houses four of our critical client groups: UK National Security, Global National Security, defence and central government. Government and key infrastructure networks are critical targets to defend as the effects of these networks being breached can be devastating.
As a member of the Government business unit, you will defend the connected world and ensure the protection of nations. We all have a role to play in defending our clients, and this is yours.