BAE Systems’ DataBridge 6 is a market leading Lawful Intercept (LI) solution for deployment within a CSP’s network. Communications Service Providers (CSPs) are in the spotlight like never before. As terrorists and organised criminals make increasing use of social media and smartphones to facilitate their crimes and activities, the data they generate – which is transported by CSPs – is of huge value to Law Enforcement and National Security Agencies. It now forms a key element in their efforts to monitor threats, detect crimes and investigate and prosecute criminals.
The DataBridge team requires a Systems Engineer with a strong Linux systems background to aid in the design, test and deployment of our solution into our customers’ networks. This will involve high levels of interaction with both internal and external stakeholders, a significant amount of autonomy in finding the solutions to complex software and hardware problems, and strong analytical skills. They will be responsible for owning the system requirements and system-level architecture, coordinating with the various development, test and deployment teams, and also some hands-on aspects - including setting up and configuring hardware, deploying the system to internal testing or customer premises, and training customers in the system’s use.
What will you be doing?
- Working within a large sized (~40) multi-disciplinary team.
- Customer & project based Systems Engineering.
- Requirements analysis, evolution and development.
- Customer liaising and being a technical lead and authority for projects .
- Rapid proto-typing and development of demonstration systems.
- Technical contribution to bids including estimation.
- Customer support, fault investigation and troubleshooting.
What are we looking for?
- We are looking for people who are not seeking to be a Software Developer but possesses “developer experience” and wants to embark on a role that encompasses the whole system rather than a particular component or technology layer. The successful candidate will have the confidence in their own abilities to get deeply involved in new concepts and technologies and be able to coherently present their understandings and findings back towards internal and external stakeholders
- Must have a strong desire to get really stuck in to the technical aspects of a project, this behaviour is expected and required form a successful candidate even when initially they do not have deep knowledge of the domain.
- Must be a quick learning and can identify where best to focus their efforts for maximum return.
- Must have an analytical mind and an interest in learning about new technologies.
- Must not afraid to be client facing, lead a technical project and be the face of it from the client perspective.
- Will have a Computer Science/Physics/Engineering or relevant 1st or 2-1 degree.
- Will preferably have experience in developing and debugging software.
- Should be familiar with scripting and Linux based operating systems and services.
- Must be excellent presenters and speakers.
- Must demonstrate excellent aptitude for problem solving - even when the problem is in a completely alien domain.
- Must be able to demonstrate leadership qualities, whether in University or personal projects.
- Must have excellent team working abilities.
- Must be able to think on their feet and work in a fast paced environment.
- Will have the ability to multi-task and stay organised in a dynamic work environment.
- Must be of a collaborative team building nature with an understanding of other roles in the team and how to help each other.
- Understanding of software test approaches, frameworks, tools and test automation techniques; ideally at a range of levels: unit, integration and system test.
- An understanding of the principles of version control and release management. Ideally with experience of a version control tool such as Git or Perforce.
- An understanding of Agile practices and frameworks.
- Have some ‘knowledge’ of C++ as this would be an advantage in this role.
- Server hardware knowledge.
Life at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence
We are embracing Hybrid Working. This means you and your colleagues may be working in different locations, such as from home, another BAE Systems office or client site, some or all of the time, and work might be going on at different times of the day. By embracing technology, we can interact, collaborate and create together, even when we’re working remotely from one another. Hybrid Working allows for increased flexibility in when and where we work, helping us to balance our work and personal life more effectively, and enhance wellbeing.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Applied Intelligence. We are proud to have an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds – the best and brightest minds – can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential.
About BAE Systems Applied Intelligence
We use our intelligence-led insights to help defend Governments, Nations and Societies from cyber-attacks and financial crime. Our customers depend on our evolving capabilities to help them safely grow their organisations. Our unprecedented access to threat intelligence, world-leading analysts and market-leading technology means we can help them to adapt, evolve and stay ahead of the criminals.
Division overview: Government
At BAE Systems Applied Intelligence, we pride ourselves in being a leader in the cyber defence industry, and Government contracts are an area we have many decades of experience in. Our Government business unit houses four of our critical client groups: UK National Security, Global National Security, defence and central government. Government and key infrastructure networks are critical targets to defend as the effects of these networks being breached can be devastating.
As a member of the Government business unit, you will defend the connected world and ensure the protection of nations. We all have a role to play in defending our clients, and this is yours.