Technical Capability Lead
- BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
- Guildford and Gloucester
- Closing date
- 15 Feb 2022
- Project Engineering, Systems, Other
- Computing & IT, Defence, Security & Policing, Software & Hardware, Cyber Security
- Job Type
We are seeking a Technical Capability Lead (TCL) to work with our client at the Defence Science and Technology Laboratory (DSTL).
A Technical Capability Lead is a type of Technical Consultant who help clients to solve problems, meeting their business needs with solutions appropriate to their business strategy that have a significant technology or information systems component. Technical Consultants are the link between clients with problems and BAE Systems’ solution and service delivery teams. We build client intimacy and trust; we influence our clients up to the highest levels; we build corporate insight into our client problems; we find opportunities for innovation.
General Role Accountabilities
- Advise clients regarding the opportunities and threats to their business from emerging and disruptive technologies and trends, by combining expertise in those technologies and trends with deep understanding of the client’s business goals and strategies and the business context in which they operate
- Develop evidence-based strategies, approaches, options analyses and product assessments for clients with technology- or information-centric challenges, advising and supporting them right up to board level.
- Apply rigorous architectural and systems engineering method to help clients commission and control significant change programmes, realise anticipated outcomes and benefits and manage the complexity, uncertainty and risk.
- Establish technical, architectural and engineering governance for client organisations as needed to meet their business goals (such as establishing an effective Design Authority or Integration, Verification and Validation function for a client; or defining technical principles, policies and standards appropriate to the client).
Specific Role Attributes
- Ability to contribute Science and Technology knowledge and expertise into technical discussions with the client.
- Willingness to reach out to other subject matter experts to fill in knowledge gaps support/refine an engagement.
- Ability to grasp key technical attributes from a discussion and establish a firm understanding of the required outcome for a task.
- Ability to work with vague requirements and develop these into something more tangible.
- Ability to support the client in the creation of innovative approaches to achieve the outcome.
- Ability to translate a desired outcome and approach into an entity that can be contracted.
- Ability to identify science and technology roadmaps that build on existing work.
- Experience in the delivery of projects in the value range £50k-£5m and associated typical risks mitigations
- Natural affinity to Business Development
- Willingness to stand back and let other teams ‘own’ the delivery
- Willingness to step in to challenging situations and support projects that are not performing to the required standard
- Confident communicator
- Ability to work with a broad range of stakeholders within the customer and supply base
- Science or Engineering Technical Background
- Experience delivering into DSTL or similar HMG agency, and/or experience of one or more of Cyber / DSP / RF Systems / Space / AI+ML
- Some experience in all phases of project life-cycle (scoping, costing, delivering, troubleshooting)
- Ability to engage and influence across both deeply technical as well as management levels.
- Willing to travel to Salisbury / Portsmouth up to 1-2 days per week (in non-pandemic times)
About BAE Systems Applied Intelligence
We use our intelligence-led insights to help defend Governments, Nations and Societies from cyber-attacks and financial crime. Our customers depend on our evolving capabilities to help them safely grow their organisations. Our unprecedented access to threat intelligence, world-leading analysts and market-leading technology means we can help them to adapt, evolve and stay ahead of the criminals.
Division overview: Capabilities
At BAE Systems Applied Intelligence, we pride ourselves in being a leader in the cyber defence industry, and Capabilities is the engine that keeps the business moving forward. It is the largest area of Applied Intelligence, containing our Engineering, Consulting and Project Management teams that design and implement the defence solutions and digital transformation projects that make us a globally recognised brand in both the public and private sector.
As a member of the Capabilities team, you will be creating and managing the solutions that earn us our place in an ever changing digital world. We all have a role to play in defending our clients, and this is yours.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Applied Intelligence. We are proud to have an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds – the best and brightest minds – can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential. We also welcome discussions about flexible working.
BAE Systems Digital Intelligence is home to 4,800 digital, cyber and intelligence experts. We work collaboratively across 16 countries to collect, connect and understand complex data, so that governments, nation states, armed forces and commercial businesses can unlock digital advantage in the most demanding environments.
At BAE Systems Digital Intelligence, we believe that digital technology is the key to unlocking our customers’ advantage. By advancing digital technologies, we open doors to worlds of opportunities, together. We work across 6 main areas, Cyber, Defence, Delivery & Advisory, FinCrime, Intelligence and Space. Come visit us at the expo, or our website, to learn more about our opportunities.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert