BAE Systems Applied Intelligence helps nations, governments and businesses around the world defend themselves against cybercrime, reduce their risk in the connected world, comply with regulation, and transform their operations.
We do this using our unique set of solutions, systems, experience and processes - often collecting and analysing huge volumes of data. These, combined with our Cyber Special forces - some of the most skilled people in the world - enable us to defend against cyber-attacks, fraud and financial crime, enable intelligence-led policing and solve complex data problems.
We are obsessed about solving problems for our customers; we bring together great minds that face tough challenges on a daily basis, and are encouraged to make a difference.
National Security Manchester Overview
The National Security business in Manchester is growing and there are an increasing number of opportunities to work with a range of National Security clients to provide solutions that have a real impact.
Be part of a growing team that not only delivers for its clients but also gives back to the community with plenty of opportunities to get involved with local community engagement and outreach activities to help build tech and cyber skills in the region.
The DevOps Engineer provides a bridge between development, testing, network/infrastructure, operations and system administrators to facilitate efficient, continuous and high quality software delivery. The processes and tooling implemented by the DevOps engineer enables Software Engineers to turn source code and associated artefacts into installation media and/or installed and configured environments.
The DevOps engineer typically combines the skills of coding or scripting and process reengineering with exemplary team working and communication skills. The DevOps engineer should have a good breadth of knowledge across the disciplines of software development and how software is deployed. The Software Engineer analyses requirements, designs, implements and unit tests software code and supporting artefacts using appropriate tools and following the disciplines and practices of BAE Systems.
The DevOps Engineer:
- Ensuring that project engineering and quality assurance platforms are available and fit for purpose
- Provide advice and guidance to projects on good practice and effective use of engineering toolsets
- Create, maintain and manage an ecosystem of scripts, techniques, patterns and templates that can be used by projects to assist them in starting quickly and in-line with business objectives, reusing standards and exemplars wherever possible
- Through a strong grasp of automation tools for both infrastructure and software build assist the software and testing teams in the build, deployment and verification of software making maximum use of automation
- Code and script to create build pipelines across the engineering tooling
- Detailed knowledge of infrastructure scripting languages to create automated infrastructure implementations on physical, virtual and cloud platforms
- Exhibit analytical problem solving to help teams solve common engineering issues
- Administration of source control systems including devising branching policies and strategies
- Implement and maintain of Continuous Integration (CI)
- Implement and maintain Build pipelines
- Implement and maintain software delivery mechanisms used to deploy, patch and verify software artefacts
- Understanding change control and release management practices
- Knowledge of automated testing practices in order to support test teams
- A solid knowledge of Agile methodologies, SCRUM, BDD, TDD
- Demonstrates the professionalism to reflect on and improve personal performance
- Provides accurate estimates of effort needed to support projects in the delivery of an integrated DevOps approach
- Plan and undertake environment provisioning for projects (either through cloud services or in consultation with infrastructure teams as appropriate)
- Plan and undertake installations on all test, reference and operational environments
- Deliver consistent high quality software and environmental builds through automation
- Creation and maintenance of automaton frameworks for environment provisioning, software deployment and ongoing operation
- Managing and controlling the software configuration for projects including the source repository
- Managing and controlling the environment configuration for projects
- Managing software build ’pipelines‘ and provide visibility of success / automated test success
- Work actively with the development team to ensure that the environments are fit for purpose and that the developers are producing software in accordance with best environmental and operational practices
- Ensuring that production environments comply with policy
- Carries our regular system checks to ensure product performance
- Provides incident support and management using the appropriate tools
- Identifies operational problems and contributes to the resolution
- Defines processes and procedure at the project level & operates within the wider community to adopt best practice at the project level
- Communicates well project and client teams
- Exemplary team working and communication skills
Desired Technical Ability
Aptitude in one or more of the following:
- Java - Java JEE, JSP, JSF, EJB, Spring, JDBC
- Infrastructure – systems administration, network security & engineering, protocols (TCP/IP)
- Microsoft - C#, C++, .NET, SharePoint, ODBC
- Data processing – Hadoop, Oracle, R, SQL
- Web - HTML, XML, SOAP
- O/S - Linux, Windows
- Mobile – iOS, Android,
- MATLAB, Maple
- Microsoft Office – specifically Microsoft Excel – Lookups, pivot tables
- Excellent analytical and numerical skills
- The aptitude for solving complex/technical problems
- Clear and effective communication skills
- Articulate, both verbally and in writing
- Objective and logical with an enquiring and creative mind
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Resilience under pressure
- Desire to learn
- Competence in Microsoft Office packages/ IT literate
Only those with the permanent and unrestricted right to live and work in the UK will be considered for a position within BAE Systems Applied Intelligence. Due to the nature of our, work successful candidates for this role will be required to go through Government SC clearance prior to starting with us. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/security-vetting-and-clearance
About BAE Systems Applied Intelligence
We use our intelligence-led insights to help defend Governments, Nations and Societies from cyber-attacks and financial crime. Our customers depend on our evolving capabilities to help them safely grow their organisations. Our unprecedented access to threat intelligence, world-leading analysts and market-leading technology means we can help them to adapt, evolve and stay ahead of the criminals.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Applied Intelligence. We are proud to have an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds – the best and brightest minds – can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential. We also welcome discussions about flexible working.